rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Capt Norman MACLEOD
Peter Ewart

A few weeks ago someone was trying to find out more about MacLeod but I can't see the thread now.

JY's mention of "Shipka" Campbell & MacLeod on another thread tonight reminded me of the very lengthy entry on MacLeod in Huw Jones' "Biographical Register of Swaziland." This account, which runs to about 7,000 words, is extremely detailed indeed and concentrates almost exclusively on his activity in the AZW and the Sekhukhune campaign. It was published in the Register in 1993 and is presumably by far the most detailed account to be researched and published of MacLeod's activities in 1878/79, unless a biography has been completed. I don't think an entry appears in the DNB.

Hope this helps whoever was asking. My own interest in MacLeod's movements involve his contact with the Rev Joel Jackson, one of the earliest missionaries in Zululand but who spent most of his career in Swaziland.

Peter
Capt. Norman Magnus MacLeod
David Glynne Fox

Hi Peter,
It was I who was asking about the above, as I recently photographed his grave on the Isle of Skye for the KLH. Thank you for the information. I will try and locate the source you mention.
Much obliged
David