rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Medals KIA or WIA
andywebb

As a collector of all things from the Zulu war and new to the forum I wondered what the general feeling is on values of relics?
i.e. A KIA medal Isandlwana can sell for up to (and possibly beyond) �10k
Rorke's Drift �30k+++ But a WIA a fair amount less and 'normal' campaign cheaper still!
But what gives these such a value? The recipients of the KIA never knew the medal ever existed! All the others have (most likely) been worn by and handled by the soldier in question, and in my mind makes them more desirable.
A hand written letter (all be it later dated) or cdv can sell for just a few pounds, yet is as personal as it can be.
Can we have a part on this site where photo's, cdv's,and autographs etc can be uploaded for all to see, rather than 'hidden' in the four corners of the world!
These comments are just my feelings and I wondered how other 'students of the zulu war' feel.
Regards Andy

Andy

I suppose that the thing which makes a K.I.A or W.I.A. special, is the actual scarcity of the medal. The overall total of medals issued far exceeds those who were killed or wounded. Granted, every medal was hard won by those who risked their lives in doing so.
A K.I.A or W.I.A. also makes research into that individual so much easier to do. They are usually mentioned by name in despatches and a memorial is usually erected to the fallen, which gives a tangible link to the medal.

The very fact that they were killed in action also confirms beyond doubt that they took part in that action. There are numerous medals out there, some to the correct regiment, where the recipient was back at base while his comrades were fighting for their lives.

Although every medal links you to a particular action, it feels so much more a part of history to handle (or own !) a medal which you know the recipient actually played a substantial role.

Graham
John Young

Andy,

I've got a number of the photographs from my collection dotted around the rdvc website, and every so often I'll include them on the forum as well. The only problem I've got with posting certain of my images on the forum is that some unscrupulous person might merely copy them and list them in a publication or on a website as their own! I'd be happy to share my material online, if such things could be avoided.

John Y.
peterw

Andy

As Graham has pointed out, a wound confirms a man's presence at a particular time.

Take the Charge of the Light Brigade - 660ish chargers, 900+ Balaklava clasps; WIA, KIA or decorated is proof a man was present. Similar situations arise with Omdurman, Maiwand, Charge of the Heavy Brigade etc. Latterly, we have the Paras at Goose Green.

I wish I collected medals only to the navy - at least you know where those boys were most of the time.

Peter
isp
clive dickens

John
The various ISP's could easily stop this but they wont it is money and they will not chance losing that to please genuine people this is spoiling the internet
Clive
andywebb

Thanks for your thoughts on the medals!
I only have a few and hope to build up the collection slowly. I still like the idea of a WIA, just for the fact that the reciprient has seen and worn the medal. But as there is only one medal per person and this makes each one unique, I will keep at the lower end of the prices!
I collect and shoot the Martini's on a regular basis, and this can use up enough cash itself.

John, shame about security issues putting a damper on everyone enjoying everyone elses collection, but I can see your point, especially now when you see what copies are being put on sites such as ebay and being sold as original. Even bullets and cases are fetching large amounts with loose provenance?? Shocked
Regards Andy

Even bullets and cases are fetching large amounts with loose provenance??

They certainly are. Utter madness, but a fool and his money....

In respect of the medals, there were relatively few medals to casualties compared to the total number issued. A 1879 bar to one of the imperial regiments that saw action will be c.�475; if you want a casualty it will be substantially more, depending on the action.

Good luck.

Peter
Simon Rosbottom

I missed out on a couple of rolled brass Martini cartridges yesterday because I had to go to a meeting. They went for only �5.50!! Argh!!

Hi Simon,
I've got a load of rolled original rounds, live and deact, I can do you a couple for a fair price if you like?
You will need a Firearm cert if you want the live ones though (and Collect)
email me

Regards Andy

I'll go for a couple of deactivated!

I'm confused about the status of Martini Henry rifles and ammunition.
At one time you needed a firearms certificate to just own a M.H.
It it was smoothbored you still needed a shotgun certificate.

Then the law was changed and it was considered an " Antique", and you could keep it in original condition with no certificate. If the rifle is antique, does the law still cover ammunition for it ?

Graham
andywebb

Hi Graham,
No licence is required to own the MH 577/450
If you intend to shoot it, it becomes a section 1 firearm!
The 'live' ammo is and always will be on licence (old or new).
If you own the rifle as an antique and have any live rounds on the property (even 1 round) you are breaking the firearms law, both then owning the rifle and the ammo.
The Firearms law can be downloaded off the home page from the web site www.onlineguns.co.uk and the home office site, but I don't know the exact address.
If you ask me, get a licence and bring the old girl back to life!! They are great fun and not too violent to shoot, before they ban smoking on a range!! Very Happy
Regards Andy

Andy

Thanks for the information on a very confusing subject.

Unfortunately my old M.H. was converted to a de-activated status many years ago, so its days of firing have long gone !

Graham
Medals KIA or WIA