rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
'Zulu' obelisk
Phil Read

Perhaps someone can settle an argument for me, and apologies if this has been raised before.

Watching �Zulu� for about the 500th time recently, I was intrigued by something that I hadn�t noticed before. About 90 minutes into the film, just after Chard has been wounded and goes to the hospital, we get a wide shot of a Zulu charge, during which they run straight past a tall obelisk. It would appear to be some sort of monument. Does anyone know what it is and why it�s there?

I did see something that refers to it as a so-called �film gaffe�, stating that the Zulus run straight past a monument placed there long after 1879 to commemorate the battle. That would only make sense if the filming took place at the site of the actual battle, which we all know it didn�t. But what is it?

Phil
Mel

Phil,
I think what you have spotted is a film prop for a flag pole. Anyway, it's not there now and, of course, there are no memorials or obelisks either.

Mel

I suppose it could be a flagpole, though I can't see a flag!

Thanks for the reply.

Phil
GlennWade

Hi both,

It is the flagpole Phil, Mel is correct. You can see it fly the Union Flag before the 24th strike camp. It's being taken down as the section of soldiers doubles past Chard when me meets Dalton.

As the camp is outside the eventual perimeter, the Zulus charge past it several times. Funny you should ask this, I answered the same query on an American board as well as on here a few months back. Very Happy

Cheers, Cool

Glenn

Glenn

The fact that someone else asked the same thing at least proves I'm not the only idiot out there.

Thanks for your reply.

Phil
GlennWade

Hi Phil

My post made no antagonistic implication, sorry if it read as if it did. I was just saying that it's a common misconception, your intelliegence does not enter into this, it's Hollywood, so everyone is fair game! Very Happy

Cheers,

Glenn

Glenn

No offence taken. It's just that looking at that part of the film again (any excuse for another viewing!), I should have realised it was a flagpole.

I'm not sure where the term 'person of challenged intelligence' came from. I certainly didn't use it. There's obviously some software active on the site that changed what I typed into something more P.C.

Thanks again

Phil
'Zulu' obelisk