rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
ZULU THROWING SPEAR
Neo

Is there any information on the longest distance a Zulu throwing spear can travel ? Separately, what is the effective distance a throwing spear can be used against an enemy ?
Simon Rosbottom

I know that I can throw one about 50m (even though my garden isn't that long!) The Olympic Javelin record is 98m to put this into context.

I suppose it depends on you definition of effective and against what. A closed body of men present a big target - you aren't too concerned with individuals more that you hit the mass - much like long range rifle fire.

Anyway, it sounds like grounds for some fun research......

Regards

Neo

In his "The Anatomy of the Zulu Army", Ian Knight explains, "The throwing spear's effectiveness was dictated almost entirely by range. Over short distances it could be hurled with considerable accuracy and 'astonishing force', according to [Nathaniel] Isaacs, who was on the receiving end of one, and would have had sufficient velocity to transfix a human torso. Beyond a range of thirty yards or so , however, the drag on the shaft caused it to slow down and waver in flight, with a dramatic decrease in accuracy and velocity".

Mr Knight goes on to mention a spear throwing contest organised by Colonel Wood in 1879 for "the diversion of his troops". The Colonel was "disappointed to note that 'the first prize [was] won by a Hottentot about 5 feet in height, who propelled an assegai 70 yards, the second man being a Colonial born Englishman, while no Zulu threw an assegai farther than 50 yards' ".

Simon

I am impressed by your 50m! It beats my sole but miserable effort by some considerable margin! It's not as easy as it looks is it? More practice required in my case ......... and a very big Dart Board! Laughing

H
Simon Rosbottom

School javelin chucker, cricket ball thrower, pebble skimmer etc.....etc....

Neo

Thanks. I'm guessing the Zulus didn't use or know of the Atlatl, which assists in spear-throwing. This can improve the distance a spear can be thrown quite considerably. I wonder if it would be possible, in the right circumstances, that a soldier could deflect a thrown spear with the use of his rifle, not by shooting, but the rifle itself. Maybe more as a lucky defence - the timing just being right. Or would this be too kung-fu ?
ZULU THROWING SPEAR