rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Gen. Custer Full-Length Colour Uniform Plate Source ?
Coll

I found an excellent portrait photograph of Gen. Custer on the net, but hoped someone could supply me with a book title, which contains a full-length colour plate of Gen. Custer at the time of LBH, rather than during the ACW, of the same detail (and scale ?) as A.W.D. in the book - 'Zulu: Isandlwana & Rorke's Drift 22-23 January 1879.' by Ian Knight ?

Most of the images that I've seen of Custer in books, are of him in a battle scene, in prints, paintings, (and posters), but not as an individual image.

Thankyou

Coll
John Young

Coll,

Asking the Custer Association of Great Britain, you'll get their link on http://www.westernerspublications.ltd.uk/CAGB%20Index.htm I'm sure someone there should be able to help you.

John Y.
Coll

Many Thanks John

I've had a look at the site, plus the links they recommend. I tried to register on the Message Board of one of the sites, but must have done something wrong. My name is there, but I can't post my question.

Interestingly, on the CAGB site itself, the main Non-Western (?) book they have illustrated for sale is 'Hill of the Sphinx' !

Perhaps, they also see a comparison between the 2 battles ?

Thanks again

Coll
mike snook 2

Coll

I know where there's such a thing. I'll try a scan at the weekend and see if I can get something fairly decent for you.

As ever

Mike
Coll

Thanks Mike

It's a pity Windrow & Greene didn't add LBH to their 'Silver Series' (?), of which Ian Knight's title mentioned above was part of - the colour plates being one of it's plus points. Nice-sized book as well.

I used to have the others about Culloden and Balaclava, which I think were also in the series.

Coll
mike snook 2

Coll

Yes they are nicely presented books. There is also one on the Pathan uprising of 1897 and one on the 21st Lancers at Omdurman.

As ever

Mike

PS. Does the Custer image have to be a certain image size in terms of centimetres?
Coll

Mike

If I managed to get a book, with a good quality, detailed colour plate of G.A.C. (in his LBH uniform) of a size at least similar to those plates included in the Osprey series titles, which a photocopied enlargement can be made of, in order to be of equal scale as A.W.D.'s , then that would be great.

Although I have a good photocopier, there are many images which don't photocopy well when making enlargements, small details become unclear, lines not defined, etc. A colour plate which is/or almost the same size already as A.W.D.'s would be perfect.

Coll
mike snook 2

Coll

Last weekend flashed by and I didn't get to do the scan but I promise to do better this weekend Coll.

As ever

Mike
Gen. Custer Full-Length Colour Uniform Plate Source ?