rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Bullet Identification
Snider

Recently I added a bullet from Isandlwana to my collection (I collect bullets/cartridges from famous battles). I am confused as to the origins of the bullet though.
It is an impacted bullet so has few remaining features. It does seem very similar to one I have from Gettysburg which is a .577 cal and weights about 30g (460 grains). I always assumed this was from a P-1853 Enfield.
I know P-1866 Sniders had the same calibre but were the bullets the same weight/dimensions as the P-1853?
I suppose I can presume that the bullet is a .577 calibre bullet but I just don't know who fired it. Could it have been a Zulu with a P-1853? OR a NNC soldier with a Snider? Will I ever be able to find out?
Hope somebody can help!!
I am also writing a list of rifles used in the Zulu war so far I have

0.45 Martini Henry - Brits
0.45 Swinburne-Henry - Brits
? Westley Richards - Colonial Horses/Cavalry?
.577 Snider - Enfield - NNC
.577 Enfield P-1853 - Zulus?, Natal Civilians
? Muskets? - Zulus

Hopefully others can add to this list and edit as they see fit, the questions marks are my unknowns at the moment. Also maybe add revolvers something I know little about!!
Adrian Whiting

Hello Snider,

If the bullets have been fired they will usually be difficult to identify. The bullet for the MkIX Snider cartridge was different from those for the P53 Enfield, since it had a hollow within the nose, with the lead spun over the point to cover it. Try and post an image or two of it and I will see if I can help any further.

In terms of your list, the Westley Richards "Monkey tail" capping breech loader was in .451" Westley manufatcured Martinis would accept the service cartridge in 577/45".

Musket calibres would be a huge variation. British service muskets are generally about .75" and French equivalents .69".

Snider

Adrian, you describe the bullet from Gettysburg to a tee!!
The problem is breech loaders weren't used then (as I'm sure you know!!). I am beginning to think that the Gettysburg bullet may have been fired some years after the battle and somebody later picked it up!!
If you still would like to see pictures I will try and post them.
Snider

Correction , I think a Sharps was a the only mass used breech loader in the ACW. Don't think this is my bullet!!
Adrian Whiting

Nick,

I guess your Gettysburg bullet would most likely be of American manufacture, even if the rifle-musket firing it was British, so it may not accord with the P53 British bullet anyway.

The design I described was adopted so that the bullet could be elongated without adding too much to its weight - forgive me if you know all this already - and the hollow area within it allowed this to be achieved. The reason for doing so at all was to improve its efficiency by altering its length to diameter ratio.

This would have applied to any bullet so the Americans may have adopted the approach whilst British bullets had nose plugs.

If you can send pics I would be interested to see them.

Bullet Identification