rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Zulu or boer war pith helmets
lavagna

I'm a collector of authentic Boer and Zulu War British Foreign Service Pith Helmets.

I'd like to know if anyone has anything to sell or if anyone knows where any helmet are available for purchase.

(Trying to avoid using the RDVC Marketplace are we? - Alan)
Mikey29211

Lavagna, your photobucket link doesn't work...

There was one on ebay.uk eariler this week.

You also have a nice 24th helmet that belonged to a ANTON RUDRAM.
I have many repro helmets and would love to own an original.

About 20 years ago i purchased a Boer war helmet but it was stolen off the UPS truck.. Mad

You might look at this, although the date can't be confirmed, it is nice (i have one myself)
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk:80/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140068251529&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNARL:UK:12

Can you post some of your collection? I would love to see it.

Regards

Mike

After i fixed it

lavagna

Hi Alan,
Not trying to avoid using the RDVC marketplace, I did try clicking on the
[email protected] link, but keep getting a '404 NOT FOUND'
feedback page. I would be very interested in listing under the 'wanted' section. Please let me know how best to proceed and also how to make payment. Do you accept Paypal - I live in South Africa and UK banks do not accept S.A. cheques (foreign exchage technicalities etc.).
lavagna

Hi MIKE,
I too owned a pith very similar to yours. Yours is in much better shape than mine was though. I eventually sold it, and never was able to determine from what era it came or was used for.

It would be great if someone out there is able to place it (and possibly date it).

Can you give me some advice on how to post images on this forum. I'm not that clever when it come to these things. The photo bucket pictures worked on the other forum, what is the best way with the RDVC forum.

If I can figure it out, I'll post a few pictures of authentic helmets I have saved for referrance purposes. I presently only 2 British Foreign Service Helmets - One Zulu War (that's one you've seen) and one Boer War (it's a beauty - real 'pukker' Boer War).
Re: Zulu or boer war pith helmets
Mikey29211

lavagna wrote:
Hi MIKE,
I too owned a pith very similar to yours. Yours is in much better shape than mine was though. I eventually sold it, and never was able to determine from what era it came or was used for.

It would be great if someone out there is able to place it (and possibly date it).

Can you give me some advice on how to post images on this forum. I'm not that clever when it come to these things. The photo bucket pictures worked on the other forum, what is the best way with the RDVC forum.

If I can figure it out, I'll post a few pictures of authentic helmets I have saved for referrance purposes. I presently only 2 British Foreign Service Helmets - One Zulu War (that's one you've seen) and one Boer War (it's a beauty - real 'pukker' Boer War).

On the other forum, you had to copy the "URL LINK" from your photobucket photo and then click on the image button (in the forum) then paste it.

On this forum, you just copy the IMG Code below your photobucket photo and paste it directly in your reply page here.

On the pith posted above, there is a patent number on the label but i have not been able to find it on the UK patent office website...It has probably long since expired.

Hope that helps

Mike
lavagna

Mike
Here are the pictures of the Foreign Service Helmets
I hope this works

[/img]
Mikey29211

Very nice, I noticed that they all had slightly different shapes.
There must have been many different manufacturer's back then and each had their own blocks and dies..I'll take a shot of my collection and post it.

Thanks again..

Mike
Neil Bates

Hi,

Mikey and I have talked before about this subject. I'm not putting myself up as an expert on this, but have looked into it a little bit. It's true to say there were many different patterns and styles of foreign service helmets - there are no hard and fast rules about any of them. We are often told for example that helmets with puggarees were never used in South Africa. This is simply not true, as any examination of a range of period photographs will show.

Genuine examples do crop up on ebay at times, but you do have to be wary. Victorian Foreign Service pattern helmets were produced for very many years after they were used on active service, as far as I can ascertain. They were used in British Army bands, and for events such as The Royal Tournament. Also they were made for film use. Those with adjustable headbands, for example, are likely to be later. A genuine example is going to be expensive! There was one on ebay recently from a militaria dealer that went for over �600.00.

I have two Victorian examples which I believe are genuine (plus other examples of British pith helmets). It's a fascinating subject!!!
Mikey29211

I'm sure the one i posted above is not Victorian but i am sure that it's very old, maybe from the 1920's. It has a pattent number on the label but as i said before, i can't find it at the UK patent office website.

And the $75.00 price tag is a dead give away too Shocked

It does look good for a display piece.
One would figure that as popular as they are, there aren't more "Quality" reproductions being made (other than the Vietnamese units flooding the market)
They are OK but are usually the wrong shape.
I plan on removing the velcro head band on one or two of my Vietnam repro's and replace them with a proper one
and make a new chinstrap and attach it with brass hooks, at least it will look more accurate. Very Happy

regards

Mikey
Mikey29211

I just added these to my collection, they are repros for sure but IMO they best ever produced. And the dealer refuses to divulge his sources.

Mikey29211

The latest addtion to the family..

John Lundy

Hi Mike,
I sure like your helmets. Do you know of any sources for the cotter pins to hold the plates on? I have done a Google search but most of the cotter pins I found are not the correct type.

Thanks,
John
Mikey29211

Hi John,

I have one that will work for your plate.
Send me your mailing address via email and i'll get it sent out to you tomorrow.

Take care

Mike
Michael Boyle

Just for an interesting commentary on the modern use of the cork lid see -

http://anothersecretpoliceman.blogspot.com/2006/08/most-ridiculous-headgear-known-to.html

I tend to think though that the original was viewed as a step up from the various Crimean issues which mysteriously seemed, like Viet Nam gas-masks, to have an alarming rate of combat loss!

MAB
Mikey29211

Michael Boyle wrote:
Just for an interesting commentary on the modern use of the cork lid see -

http://anothersecretpoliceman.blogspot.com/2006/08/most-ridiculous-headgear-known-to.html

I tend to think though that the original was viewed as a step up from the various Crimean issues which mysteriously seemed, like Viet Nam gas-masks, to have an alarming rate of combat loss!

MAB

That was a good read, aren't the modern Bobby helmets made of high impact plastic in place of cork?