rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Uniform Queries
Rob Dumelow

I am currently in the midst of a project to refight the Battle of Rorke's Drift in 28mm scale. This is largely using Black Tree Design's wargames figures with a few from Redoubt Enterprises to make up a few of the characters.

I have a couple of uniform queries that I thought you knowledgable guys might be able to help me with.

Firstly what was the uniform of the Commissariat and Transport Department? Particularly that of Dalton and Dunne at Rorke's Drift. The only reference I can find is of them wearing the common (in th AZW) officer's patrol jacket, which was dark blue with braiding on the front, is this accruate?

Further what were the uniforms of the NCOs and ORs of the Army Service Corps?

Finally can someone tell me what teh cookhouse, ovens and latrine buildings at the post looked like? I have been unable to find any reliable references to them.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Cheers,

Rob D.
John Young

Rob,

C. & T. Department officers wore the "Infantry Pattern Patrol Jacket" - I've got one here if you need photographs, or I can supply you with contemporary photographs of the same.

Dark blue trousers or breeches with two broad white stripes down the outer seam of each leg.

I also have photographs of the uniform worn on campaign by the A.S.C., please contact me, using the Private Message with your e-mail and I can supply you with copies and a detailed description.

John Y.
Rob Dumelow

Cheers John.

I thought I had enabled the display of my E-mail, apparently not. I'll change my settings so that you can see the button.

Thanks again,

Rob.

EDIT: Done, you should now be able to email me, thanks.
scarletto7

Rob, the trouble with black tree is the helmets, with the stitching on the outside, looks awful, which is why i initially went to redoubt minatures, I've about a 200 unpainted of theirs, which i must start work on!!

However I'm doing a 7x5 diorama on Isandlwana with newlines 20mm range, so thats putting me some years away from redoubt!!
Rob Dumelow

Scarletto7,

Yes that's true the stitching on the outside does look pretty poor, but I prefer the quality of the sculpting to that of Redoubt. The Redoubt castings seem to look more "rough" than the Black Tree models ones, as they don't have the resources to attract the best sculptors, but the models do seem to have more realism.

The other thing I can't stand with Redoubt is the wierd proportions on some of the models, particularly the length of the legs and the size of their hands which seem to be out of proportion with the rest of the figure, but that's just me quibbling. Though their strange sizing does seem to get me a little wound up when their personality figures are around 3mm taller than their standard ones, a very strange system to choose. I could understand maybe 1-2mm taller to make them stand out from the rank and file but 3mm seems to throw them into another scale entirely, especially when most people will be using their personality figures alongside their standard figures.

Though no modern wargames figure is in proportion anyway, with every scale showing shorter legs and larger weapons than should realistically be seen. In order to show proper scale we should all go back to the old style 1980's models which were always exactly 25mm in height and perfectly in proportion, compared to the modern standard of almost 30mm in height and with a stocky build. But anyway, I digress.

I basically decided that i'd go for Black Tree, largely as Dad (he's a second hand figure dealer) had a lot of them in stock at the time and so they were easy to get at.

I have amassed almost 120 zulus for the attackers (and hoping to get more later on) and have started on the defenders, having around a dozen rand and file and Chard and Bromhead sorted. Just painted around a dozen of the zulus so far though and hope to have most of the rest finished in the Easter break, though I should really do more revision for my A levels!

By the way do you have the Bromhead special edition from Wargames Illustrated magazine? The pack came with both a historical bearded Bromhead and a Michael Caine movie one. They ran it as a special offer for subscribers a while back and they both paint up quite nicely. They turn up on Ebay quite often I think.

Take a look: http://files.photojerk.com/dumelow/Bromhead.jpg

(Not my painting by the way, I'll take some pics of mine later, once my camera's charged).

Anyway this post's getting quite large now.

Oh and cheers for the images John, it's much appreciated.
Mikey29211

I would like to see your diorama, can you re-post the link please.

Mike
Uniform Queries