rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Armouries - 'Hands-On' Weapons Research ?
Coll

A while ago I watched a short behind-the-scenes programme about the armouries within film studios, where film staff (the directors, actors, or screenwriters themselves?) can familiarise themselves with the weapons the characters would be equipped with, or will be in use by others, to understand their usage and how best to demonstrate this use and limitations with the film.

It made me wonder if writers (historians, novelists, screenwriters) are able to get 'hands-on' with weapons (revolvers, carbines, swords, etc.) as in, the actual holding and working of the mechanism, whether the lever-action of a rifle, the break-open loading facility of revolvers, fixing of bayonets, etc., from museums or such like, in order to get the facts right about the weapons' workings and capabilities - such as calibre, method of use, attachments.

I know there are many firearm books available (as I have a few) but I don't think it's truly possible to appreciate 19th Century weaponry without 'getting to grips' with the real thing.

I'm asking out of curiosity, as I'd never be able to pursue this aspect of research myself, at least, not without having 'proven' an ability to write books, or screenplays, etc. (not much chance of that)

This is a very interesting area to me, as I've never been in a position to study firearms in such a way, to get a 'feel' for the weaponry that soldiers (Imperial, Colonial, etc.) used in the Anglo-Zulu War 1879, or 19th Century in general (including Sharps, Winchester, etc.)

Thankyou

Coll

PS. I apologise if I've asked this before, as I've a feeling I wrote this in a previous topic, in the old forum.
Martin Everett

Coll,

The Small Arms Collection at Warminster - you have to make an appointment. For contact details see:
www.armymuseums.org.uk

Coll

Martin

Thankyou

Coll
BRILLIANT
clive dickens

Coll
The small arms school museum at Warminster which Martin mentions is absolutely brilliant and well worth the visit I was fortunate to be a guest of the Worcestershire and Sherwood Foresters when they where demonstration battalion a few years ago and I went around the small arms school museum that day it is very interesting with evry weapon ever used in it the smallest was a revolver made by the provisional IRA get a application in for a visit and you will have a day out to remember.
Clive
Coll

Thanks Clive

Yes. I'd like to think that someday I'll be able to visit the museum and the others mentioned on this site.

Coll
baztaylor

Coll,

Another place you could consider is Baptys. They are film armourers based near Heathrow and have a wide selection of weaponry including Martinis (they supplied the ones for Zulu!).

Cheers

Barry
Coll

Thanks Barry

Coll
Coll

Since this topic, has anyone been to this collection and managed to get the hands-on experience with any Zulu War related firearms ?

Thanks

Coll
Sawubona

Don't they have firearms auctions in the British Isles? You're pretty much expected to handle any or all the guns at the preview

I do know they have gun shows as I attended one in London a couple years back and handled at least a dozen different Martinis as well as Besses, Brunswicks and many, many much rarer firearms. All you have to do is look as though you can afford his offerings (or at least look as though you know someone who can) and the seller will practically throw them into your hands.
Neil Aspinshaw

I put on a full Hands on of seven Martini's, Swinburns, Sniders, and Bill put on his Westley Richards at the 6/7th August lectures at Brecon.