rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
John Young

Michael,

Please tell me when King Shaka kaSenzangakhona (c. 1787-1828), ever visted the then Royal Military College, Sandhurst? Or when he ever visited Great Britain for that matter?

By the time what is now referred as 'Old College' Sandhurst was completed in 1812, Shaka was already under the wing of Dingiswayo kaJobe of the Mthethwa, and set on his path of destiny.

I think you have been mislaid by a myth, which appears to have been embellished somewhere down the line, that he witnessed British troops drilling in the Eastern Cape. Unless that is you can tell me otherwise?

John Y.
private barley

hey guys yea I'm sorry i made a mistake. i said sanhurst didn't i. I'm just tired lately working from 8 am to 10pm is not fun. ill try and be more careful all i can say is i know that cetswayo got the assegai from the brits.

Oops again, Michael, I doubt if Cethswayo got the assegai from the Brits as the assegai was already in use in Zululand before Cethswayo got anywhere near England. He might had seen troops drilling while he was in England, but I doubt the origin of the assegai could be traced back to this.

Dawn
private barley

sorry wrong name Shaka i meant i was thinking Cetshwayo because i never saw a picture of him holding an assegai and i were wondering why.

i also have a question. From holding a Martini Henry with the lunger on top i wondered, why does the film, zulu depict the ability to rifle butt with a Martini Henry when the muzzle end is heavier than the butt.

can anyone tell me i mean it seems illogical.

mike

Michael

I think you should quit while you're ahead, or behind in this case. Shaka didn't get the assegai from the Brits either. Not sure where he got the idea from but it certainly had nothing to do with any white man anywhere, seeing as white men had scarcely put in an appearance at the time Shaka come to the fore as a military genius.

Dawn
bayonets