rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Captain Wardell
catramble

Can anyone give me details of Captain Wardell's company's part in the battle of Isandhlwana. Various accounts I have read tend to skirt over what happened to that company when the line collapsed.
My interest is stimulated by a cabinet photograph of Lt. Atkinson found amongst family papers, on which is written " killed at Isandhlwana".
Many thanks

Hi,

If it's any help, I've just finished reading Mike Snook's new book - How Can Man Die Better - and he deals as thoroughly with Captain Wardell's part in the battle as anyone I've yet read. Incidentally, an oustanding book all-round.

Tony Ashford.
Julian whybra

Well, let's put it this way, he offers a scenario.
tony.ashford.@ntlworld,co

Indeed, one possible scenario, but certanly the most plausible and well-construted I've come across.
Tony Ashford.
Julian whybra

Tony Ashford
Well, it is well-constructed i.e. well-written. In terms of H coy being to the right of the guns, occupying the rocky ridge, leaving behind Wolfe & co., and retreating back to its final position, there is nothing new presented (not that I realy expected anything really). Everything else is speculation (the move by G coy through H coy's ranks, for example, which I do find highly dubious and I don't think can be upheld by the evidence) ...but having said that, highly interesting speculation, and, I do not deny, plausible.
tony.ashford.@ntlworld,co

Julian,

Thanks for your thoughts. I take the points you made and would hesitate to contradict you in any way, but I just felt that the book has added a refreshing new slant to various aspects of the battle, not just the Wardell contribution - has to be a good thing.

Tony Ashford.
Ed Coan

Julian - maybe it's just a feeling from the tone of your comments on this thread, but are there other scenario(s) regarding Isandlwana you want to postulate?

I recall sitting in a very interesting lecture you gave at the Royal Engineers Museum a couple of years ago, and wondered if you were going to publish your thoughts at some stage? As I recall, your thoughts were based around the way the British retreated at Isandlwana, attempting to take up a recognised formation, i.e. it wasn't the pell-mell melee that often comes across.

Have a copy of your 'England's Sons', but wondered whether you had any plans to produce a more editorial-based publication at some stage?

Apologies if you already have!

Ed Coan
Julian whybra

Tony,
I quite agree. It IS a refreshing new slant - very much so - indeed I have told Mike so - but of course it doesn't make it gospel and there are a number of unsubstantiated descriptions of events in the book which I feel can be re-presented, and there are some straight errors (I've said this elsewhere I think). I don't mean this in a negative way, but one has to be critical if one is ever to reach the truth.
Ed
Yes, I do intend to. I really don't want to give too much away on this forum. I have had worked plagiarised before and I don't intend to let it happen again.
Captain Wardell