rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Ndweni - Ndaweni
Julian whybra

Can any contributor living in RSA help me out? Can anyone tell me the modern spelling of the stream which flows into the Buffalo-Mzinyathi called by most writers Ndweni? Mike Snook refers to it as the Ndaweni (has it undergone a name-change?) and George Chadwick as the 'nDweni (bizarrely). An internet search for the correct modern spelling has not resulted in any success so I'm turning to someone on the ground who can check on a local map.
Keith Smith

Julian
Just checked my map of the Isandlwana/Rorke's Drift area and there is a stream which flows into the Mzinyathi called Ndweni. It is about 5 1/2 km south of Isandlwana and about 2500 m. slightly west of north of Malakatha Hill. With the Zulu penchant for abbreviation, the proper name is perhaps iNdweni. By the by, it seems to run in a pretty steep ravine on the south side of the Isandlwana plain. Is that the right one?
KIS
Julian whybra

Yes, that's the one - and Ndweni is what I have always thought - it's just that Mike Snook has Ndaweni and Iwondered if it'd changed its name. Can any SA resident confirm or negate?
Ndweni - Ndaweni