rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Paul Bryant-Quinn

Alan - I think you can rely on me to acknowledge any debts to others' work. And yes, I don't live far from there.

Regards,

Paul
John Young

Paul,

Don�t forget that Welshman who started the war against the Zulu. I have a biographical note compiled by his daughter which puts his Welsh heritage beyond doubt.

All the best,

JY
Paul Bryant-Quinn

Good afternoon, John

Oh yes: he is very much part of the story, though I wonder to what extent he would have thought of himself as Welsh. I would love to hear more about that biographical note sometime, if you are willing.

Regards,

Paul
John Young

Good evening Paul,

I will see if I can find it for you.

Best wishes,

JY
Colin

Bit of an odd question while I�m visiting quickly.

I�m hoping to move from what I�m studying now onto a battle closer to home, that I actually could visit if wanting to - Culloden

I�m trying to think of the source(s) where the Jacobites were compared to the Zulus, I think I did get an answer on FB, but can�t see it now.

Anybody know...didn�t think I�d need to locate it again, as it is an interesting comparison, but not sure how many agreed with it, or was just one man�s opinion ?

I recently watched the Culloden documentary from about 1964, presented in black-and-white, as if a camera crew had been interviewing the participants like the war correspondents of today. It was ahead of its time, felt it�d be a great way to do a Zulu War Film...albeit unusual and unlikely.

Hope all are well
John Young

Colin,

Culloden is - in my opinion - an excellent battlefield to visit. The visitors centre offers the option to follow the English or Jacobite path to the battle. Something I would like to see incorporated into the Isandlwana battlefield, if that ever comes to pass.

I like the comparison with the AmaZulu and Jacobite clansmen, especially as the Young Clan were in the second line of attack under Ogilvy.

If you do get up there, I would recommend a trip to Cawdor Castle, the ancestral home of the Campbells of Cawdor. Fort George is also nearby where Anthony Durnford was stationed and now houses The Highlanders Museum.

JY
Colin

Hello John good to hear from you.

Yes, my sister was willing to take me to the battlefield on occasion, but I was so caught up with Isandhlwana, that it wasn�t a priority.

Lately, watching Rise Of The Clans on tv, etc., started reconsidering the studying of Culloden, which I know of only limited, which I am ashamed to say, but also if there was any Clan Maxwell involvement.

Recently checking, I�ve found out it is termed an armigerous clan which is a completely new word to me, as it seems the clan has no chief and isn�t recognised.

I know nothing of my family history, but would be keen to know of their involvement around the time of Culloden, but that�s beyond my abilities, plus I�m not sure what I�d find out - good or bad

I�d really like to think I connect both my interests by finding out just how much the Jacobites and Zulus were compared with each other.

Regards

Coll
Colin

On reflection, there is a chance that it was mentioned in John Prebbles Culloden book, where the comparison was made, will need to get a copy if so.

Can anyone confirm this, plus is it known to be only his opinion ?

Thanks
johnk

Still here as well, although circumstances have taken most of my time recently.. Thanks for all the contributions.

Regards John K
Neil Aspinshaw

I am, but my Martini Henry book kept me busy in all parts of the colonies!. But like an old relative I still pop in now and again for tea.

Site Admin

Good to hear from you Neil.

I am, been away far too long, still have health issues but i need to be here

Site Admin

Good to hear from you again.