rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
The end for 'Zulu'
Phil Read

In light of the recent Black Lives Matter protests, we’ve seen TV companies falling over themselves banning old TV shows that might cause offense and ‘Gone With The Wind’ has also been withdrawn. I can’t help thinking that it means curtains for ‘Zulu’ as far as any future showings are concerned.

Although it has been discussed on this forum that there is a total lack of racism in the film, I don’t think that will make any difference. I shall just have to get the DVD out every Christmas. What does everybody else think?
Alan
Site Admin

Any objections will be aimed at the Empire. We'll have to have a black market of these films.
As soon as I wrote that I stopped and thought.... I don't know of another way to describe
that sort of market.

Unfortunately, if it's not shown again on terrestrial television, the film will be completely missed by any younger generations. I'm old enough (just about!) to have seen it at the cinema first time around but I'm sure there are many people who saw the film on TV at Christmas or Easter years ago and wanted to find out more about the true story. Such a shame.
Alan
Site Admin

The upcoming generations are going to make judgments on subjects based on issues which
draw in other things which are in some way related, however tenuous.

If this blocks things like the film Zulu, I think it will be their loss as I have never thought of it
in the way it is now being labelled. It will be their loss along with so much else they will miss
out on.