rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Zulu Frontiersman
Colin

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zulu-Frontiersman-Major-C-Dennison/dp/1848325185/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Zulu+frontiersman&qid=1582123840&s=books&sr=1-1

I�ve read Zulu Vanquished by Lock and Quantrill a couple of times, just recently remembered that Buller apparently did admit somewhat, his role in the Hlobane disaster, having written it for a report/newspaper or something, but Wood had scored that part out as not to be published.

I recall that it was possibly this person Dennison, who had reported seeing the Zulu Army earlier nearby, to Wood and/or Buller, which I think was disbelieved, but in the aftermath when he reminded Buller of this, the latter told him to lay low and keep quiet/say nothing about it.

Does the above advertised book go into more detail about Dennison�s involvement with Wood/Buller about this...it�s the only reason I�d buy the book if giving more information.

Wood and Buller�s roles at Hlobane intrigue me - Wood�s lack of pre-planning, his behaviour during, then disappearing for an hour or so afterwards (which reminded me of Reno at Little Bighorn) and Buller receiving a VC for his actions in a situation he himself had created. Plus the seemingly censorship of coverage about Hlobane in newspapers.

Does Dennison give a more fuller account about this Zulu Army disclosure to his superiors Wood/Buller on the day, and being told to stay silent ?
Zulu Frontiersman