rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Rhetorical Question - Isandhlwana Anniversary Narration
Colin

With your permission again Alan

Now that the (very first) anniversary of Isandhlwana is being remembered after the release of the newly released �imprisoned information� post-Isandhlwana, contained within the primary sources of the Isandhlwana PAPERS, are the narrators of events and tours going to alter their own personal �take� on the actions of specific individuals, or are they going to continue the well-trodden, mistaken path of previous opinion, because it is the most accepted, therefore ignoring new facts ?

I�m expecting, as with other AZW and military history enthusiasts, to see a significant impact on the version given to the general public...whom I assume expect to be given the most updated evidence in their Q&As, the re-enactment demonstrations of the �action� on the Isandhlwana battlefield, that includes not just the 24th, but the Colonial Volunteers and the actual senior commander present (do the general public even know he was there or his name) or are these excluded as not important to the bigger more accurate history...are we then happy to be content with the enjoyable public entertainment based on true events of death and destruction, but at the same time...not being the truth

History is history warts and all...else you are giving the public and descendants of those killed at Isandhlwana, nothing more than a playful show, not a brutally truthful acknowledgement of the sacfrifice they made because of the General commanding�s blatant mistakes...

...and the belief that only a single specific military regiment was present...nobody else...being the others who confronted the Zulu Army first, held them back...some remaining to the fore and dying, even though they had horses allowing escape to the nearby Fugtives� Trail
Alan
Site Admin

Colin,

you are talking about something I've not heard of. Do you have a link to anything?

You sound like you are condemning much of what we have accepted to date as near the true versions of events.

Alan

Not being mysterious, but best left as a rhetorical question, just as something to ponder rather than discuss - can of worms and so forth - not meant as a condemnation, more as a point of interest I think worthy of enquiring minds.

I understand my limits to avoid membership here possibly being cancelled, not wishing to stir up bad feeling again with others or yourself.

Might actually be an idea that any future topics I�m able to add are also rhetorical, not expecting replies, just hopefully to allow some independent thought and consideration if they are indeed read, as they are likely �outside the box� of static AZW study.

An acquired taste so to speak...

In this case though, the question is related somewhat to the Isandhlwana PAPERS and relevant to this subject.

Additionally, ownership of the actual Durnford volumes by Kris Herron for this specific point raised, is actually not necessary, the blurb itself should have flagged up an intriguing question straight away to many.

This information relates to questions I�ve asked on numerous occasions, since I first joined AZW forums in 2005...answers to them being most unsatisfactory and unconvincing.

I can only nod towards details that people need to look at closely, but it takes the latter themselves to actually seek and understand the meaning.
Alan
Site Admin

Colin,

Rather than seek answers to questions, which may not be answered anyway, you could
consider writing articles on specific topics using references. It's forum not a questions & answer.

If anyone has a comment, there is a reply option. What I would want to avoid is total Durnford.

Alan

Absolutely. Rhetorical I should have made a bit clearer, as meaning, a topic started by myself, but to exclude my own responses to prevent misunderstandings which have been experienced over the years.

As you can understand, a two volume set based on Durnford specifically, written by his descendant, the source of which being part of this topic is almost impossible to keep it from being totally about him, therefore I�m hoping that the OP itself is seen if anything as a topic-starter...for others to discuss if wanted, but removing myself to stop it from going over ground much-covered previously, even in the old forum.

Kris has covered new areas of importance, that by definition should take this topic and possibly others into new discussions, not repeats of bygone debates that may depart their initial aims.

I was thinking more in the way of caution so as not to re-ignite unacceptable patterns of behaviour, as I think these new areas are worthy of discussion, minus arguments.

However, it may be a moot point, as most members I think are on FB now rather than websites.

I hope this makes sense somewhat...with my best intentions only, in order to delve in to this freshly discovered material, as I�m not sure anyone else will begin any topics based on it, judging by time passed since books published.
Alan
Site Admin

Colin,

another route would be to have articles in in the Pot Pourri section which would just be self-contained e.g.
http://www.rorkesdriftvc.com/potpourri/index.htm

It would not be open to debate but can be a separate discussion item inside the forum if someone has
any comments on it. It can be announced in the forum with a link to it.

Thanks Alan

I will indeed give that much consideration, because the studying I�ve done all these years, is difficult to cover in a single topic, especially details that even all these years later, are still not being discussed, or more strongly confronted regarding Isandhlwana itself and the senior commander present.

Obviously you�d need to vet it first, as I�d not be willing to write anything that sanitises/bypasses/ignores what I wish to convey, and what appears to be a total aversion to even mention of forums, never mind discussing or debating.

I can reassure you, anything I write would not be a rant, but part of a sort of parallel investigation to what has gone before, into areas usually avoided, or deflected from for whatever reasons. Personally, I�d prefer not to, but at the same time, these areas have been noticeably highlighted in recent times...not however by discussions and debates, but the very lack of such.

The silence on these, is as I think I mentioned before, deafening, and I don�t believe for one minute that only a very few people have noticed it too...if at all.

Note...I reckon it�s best to inform you that anything I attempt, won�t appear any time soon...as truthfully, I really thought numerous discussions would have taken place by now, starting at least by the tail end of 2019...by all - enthusiasts, authors and historians - it�s incredibly odd, when new details were always being prayed for - year in year out.

To myself, it gives the impression, it is the kind of material that some appear not to have ever wanted to be discovered or expected to ever be found.

I�ll try to put something together....eventually.

Whether it is read or not is another matter...I guess with all ideas or thesis.

Thanks for supplying the option
Rhetorical Question - Isandhlwana Anniversary Narration