rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Col. Durnford Awarded VC Same As Col. Moore 88th Regt ?
Colin

In 'A Soldier's Life And Work In South Africa' by Edward Durnford, page 115, a comparison is made between his actions at Bushman's Pass and that of a Col. Moore 88th Regiment in 1877 recommended for a VC, that are so identical should have merited the awarding of a VC to the former.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Moore

Should that have not then been the case of Durnford being posthumously awarded the VC, even after his death at Isandhlwana, as there was a delay for such regarding Melvill and Coghill in the latter event.

Was his recommendation lost in the post, mislaid, or unfiled, as there was apparently a COI where details were given in full of his actions, so it was well-known to all ?

It needs to be reconsidered, even if after all this time, only an official document be issued confirming that it would have been recommended.

It is so odd, as before me I have the book - 'The Sapper VCs' by Gerald Napier, which inside the front cover I placed the portrait photo of Durnford where I wrote - 'In my opinion Col. A.W. Durnford R.E., deserved to be posthumously awarded the VC for his actions at Isandhlwana 1879 and/or (1873) Bushman's Pass !
Colin

John Y

Well do I feel damn foolish, Moore�s portrait and details are in Victoria�s Harvest, I didn�t click between them both at all. There�s me thinking I�m very observant as well. Pages 225-226.

I�m fascinated with the sheer nerve of the man, if that is how he got his VC, is it truly the case of how it came about ?

Maybe that�s what Anthony should have done to get his too ! How the heck does that happen ?

Is it known if he had the necessary contacts to influence the decision - friends, private circle support/groups within the military - as that is unheard of to myself
Colin

I�ve got it marked down, again from Gon�s book, that Hans Moore and Coghill knew each other in 1877, during the campaign in which Moore was awarded the VC.

Is this right ?
John Young

Colin,

Coghill wore many hats during the course of the 9th Cape Frontier War, so it is more than feasible he knew Moore.

JY
Col. Durnford Awarded VC Same As Col. Moore 88th Regt ?