rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Lt Melvill, Cols Pulleine And Durnford HQ Conversation
Colin

Point of interest to myself anyway, if Melvill felt confident enough, or felt it his duty to speak up to Durnford in Pulleine�s tent during their conversation, why didn�t he, or isn�t it known, if he spoke up in the same way to others of higher rank, regarding the camp�s location, which he so feared when commenting about it to a fellow officer ?

How many other remarks is he known to have made to others before the Zulus attacked, or is the evidence regarding his comments to Durnford and the other officer all that is proven somewhat ?

I�m assuming, with him knowing the camp was badly situated and the layout too, that it was even more reason to remind Durnford of Pulleine�s orders, as he (Melvill) knew in fact that even with all the companies already present, there wouldn�t be enough to defend against attack as it was.

Instinct tells me that Melvill was very alert to the immediate dangers, actually wanting to say more but didn�t, again perhaps of the alarmist label, hence only mentioning it privately to the other 24th officer
Lt Melvill, Cols Pulleine And Durnford HQ Conversation