rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Zulu War 1879 Comparative History Usage As Precedents ?
Colin

Alan

This is something I feel necessary to ask here due to the forum visits by many very knowledgeable in the studying of the AZW, rather than on Off Topic, where it might not be seen. Hope it�s okay.

Question - I�ve had great difficulty over the years convincing others of the valuable contribution of studying other battles, campaigns and participants, etc., to create precedents regarding aspects not covered fully in AZW publications, sometimes also involving similar from conflicts in the late 19th Century.

Am I wrong to study in this way somehow, to build a more fuller understanding of said aspects less-known, as it appears to be an acquired taste to many if not most AZW enthusiasts.

Examples being - Isandhlwana/Maiwand/Little Bighorn; NNH and NNC with the creation and training of the �Buffalo Soldiers� of the Infantry in the ACW and the cavalry in the Indian Wars, etc.

Personally, I think it not only aids the study of the AZW, but expands it into areas not usually considered to encourage a more extensive researching basis of any factors also not pursued fully within the interest, or anything with no sort of opposite viewpoint to the given

I�d appreciate any detailed feedback, as I think it is a massive loss not to include this type of studying to fill-out more points in the AZW
Alan
Site Admin

Colin,
I think that when studying military strategy, examples of other conflicts or events are only
relevant if they have had a bearing on the conflict in question, i.e. the AZW. The strategies
employed in the AZW may have drawn on previous conflicts and therefore may have affected
the decisions or prosecution of the war. That would be acceptable.

To merely cover other events purely as a comparison is acceptable but not in an arena specifically
for the AZW. On this site there is an Off Topic section which is available for the sort of topics you
refer to. If they don't reach the audience you would hope, maybe a more specifically targeted
forum would be better.

Alan

Yes, I completely understand. It has been pointed out on several occasions to myself, which I really do appreciate regarding this study method.

I do find that even lately in a couple of other forums, the sole subject of the AZW can �turn in on itself� getting too political, going over points too much, or venturing more into connected merchandise, both offering and purchasing.

I�ll not start any such topics here on the main forum, I have looked for forums that would suit, but there are none of interest, being either specific subjects, or broken up into several as with the Victorian War Forum, though there are alternative history forums, they are not really what I seek.

I�d need a new one methinks, but if I started it myself, I�d only be talking to myself all the time, which I do enough of already.

Thanks for your reply
Alan
Site Admin

Don't despair Colin.