rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Isandhlwana Saved His Life But Killed His Career
Colin

On reflection of Chelmsford post-Isandlwana, it did appear that the defenders at Isandlwana (and Rorke's Drift) saved his life by inflicting such serious casualties amongst the Zulus, they no longer were capable to attack the returning column. In defence of himself and decisions, it is surprising he didn't immediately admit his faults on how he left the camp vulnerable, whilst breaking up his half of the column by scattering it over a large area.

Is it truly a case, as with Kimmel at Pearl Harbour when hit by a spent bullet, when he said 'it would have been more merciful had it killed me', that to survive such an event as Isandlwana as C-in-C was more humiliating than to have been killed ?

Was Chelmsford more bitter towards himself by living, but demonstrated against it by looking for others to hold to account for the situation now upon him ?

I know that Glyn was in his and/or Crealock's sights, but he has survived too and was grief-stricken, so looked to the fallen at Isandlwana.

Considering he was a gentleman and an honourable man, well thought of in public/military circles, why did he feel compelled to go along with this if not the main culprit, when he may have thought of the quotation - 'De mortuis nil nisi bonum' (of the dead say nothing unless it be favourable)

Even at Gettysburg General Lee acknowledged his mistakes -

'Lee rode among the survivors, remarking to a general, �All this has been my fault � it is I that have lost this fight.� - HistoryNet

https://cwcrossroads.wordpress.com/2013/07/03/its-all-my-fault-robert-e-lee-at-gettysburg/
Isandhlwana Saved His Life But Killed His Career