rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Isandlwana - novel
Bill Cainan 3

Hi Everyone

A quick note to let you know that there is a new novel out on Isandlwana called "Brutal Valour" by an American called James Mace.

Ian knight and myself have done the proof reading to ensure he got both the Zulu and the military aspects correct.

A very good book and worth reading.

Bill

Thanks to Alan for getting me back on line ! IT - aaaaaagh !
Alan
Site Admin

We have to take care of our less able friends.🚸

I've recently read this, and I thought that it was quite good.

I was interested to see how it would end, as without looking at the lists of soldiers who were there, I wasn't sure whether the main character was real or not - and I still don't! In particular, knowing that the book is part one of a trilogy, would the author "kill off" the main character? (You'll have to read it to find out what happens!).

I found the characterisation of the major people (especially what they said) quite interesting. Would I be right if I said that Bill and Ian were involved in this part?

Two small points ... ! The railway anorak in me tells me that it's not possible, even now, to get from London Kings Cross to Portsmouth in three hours. It's possible via the underground, but this wasn't possible in 1879!

Secondly, it's a bit jarring when James uses the American term "gotten" instead of "got" .... a small thing, but not, I feel, right.

So, it's on to Rorke's Drift for part two .... it's on my list of "to buy" books! Does anyone know when it's going to be released?
The Scorer

I've now heard from James Mace, and he's told me that the second book is due in May.
Keith Smith

Hi

I must tell you that I found the Americanism 'gotten' as irritating as you obviously do. I should point out, however, that 'gotten' was commonly used in 18th century English. The US continues to use words abandoned in 'English' long ago! This also explains their accent.

KIS
The Scorer

Keith Smith wrote:
Hi I must tell you that I found the Americanism 'gotten' as irritating as you obviously do. I should point out, however, that 'gotten' was commonly used in 18th century English. The US continues to use words abandoned in 'English' long ago! This also explains their accent. KIS

Yes, James has said to me that he tried to remove all the usage of the word, knowing that it wasn't correct, but some did sneak through.

I didn't know about the use in C18th English, though - thanks.
Isandlwana - novel