rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
The Road to Ulundi Revisited
AMB

Good afternoon All,

I note that Ken Gillings has been re-examining Crealock's water colours and has added modern photos of the landscapes depicted in a new book; a companion work to the 1960s original. He has published the above title through i.go.books. R1250 with free delivery, so they tell me!

I'm looking forward to seeing the photos.

Ken, anything to add?

AMB
AMB

Further to my last, today's Nottingham Post (nottinghampost.com) details a talk being given on the AZW by Dave Sutcliffe at Nottingham Uni on the 26 November; �10 entry free to go to the Mercian's museum. Some of Crealock's original watercolours are to be shown.

AMB
peterw

Blimey Andrew, you are better connected in Brisbane than we are here! According to this site - �70.00
http://www.casematepublishing.co.uk/index.php/distributed-publishers/30-degrees-south-publishers/the-road-to-ulundi-revisited-hb.html

Hope that you and the family are settling in well.

Peter
AMB

Peter,

The publisher kindly informed me directly.

Thank you, the family and I are settling in well to life in sunny Queensland. Certainly, November days in Wiltshire weren't like this! It is said to reach 35 degrees C today.

Incidentally, free postage of 'The Road to Ulundi Revisited' does sadly not extend to Australia.

AMB
Ken Gillings

Good morning. I have been matching the Crealock water colours with photographs for over three years and have made several power point presentations with them. 30 Degrees South asked if they could publish them and the University of KwaZulu-Natal Press supported the idea.
The Mercian Regiment asked if their Colonel of the Regiment Brigadier Dennis) could write the foreword which we were delighted to include.
Unfortunately the full colour plates and photographs have made the book rather costly, so the Publisher has restricted the print run to 1000 numbered copies.
I've been away in the Kruger National Park for the past 10 days and have had very little access to the internet, so I don't know what progress has been made besides being asked to sign some copies when I return home - hopefully tomorrow.
Regards, Ken

Has anyone got a copy yet?

AMB
peterw

Not me.

Peter
John Young

I had a letter from Casement to say not yet published, due something in February.

John Y.
AMB

John,

Casement's comments are interesting; SA publishers suggested that it is available now.

Regardless, I have ordered my copy and await its arrival (whenever that may be!) with interest. Having the original 1960s Road to Ulundi, I am keen to have the 'revisited' version also.

Slightly off subject, but I note that the publishers are also bringing out a new one-volume work concerning the first and second Matabele Wars. Should be an interesting addition to my 'Early Rhodesia' shelves.

AMB
The road to Ulundi revisited.
Robert John

I see that it is available from www.loot.co.za at approximately 46 GBP plus
postage of course !

Robert

I saw a copy today at Cascades in PMB
Little bit smaller than the original which was very awkward to hold and read
Very good contemporary photographs
Well done Ken
Stephen Coan

An article on Ken Gilling's book and its predecessor can be found via this link: http://book.co.za/hrX9
John Young

Stephen,

Thanks the review so the book does exist!

I had hoped to have the book for Christmas, that came and went. Then for my birthday in January, which likewise came and went.

February, the date promised by those handling its distribution in the U.K., came and went.

April is soon to turn to May, and still no sight despite my sons' having clubbed together to buy their father a book.

In a recent telephone call I was informed it had not yet been published.

But then the Road from Ulundi to here is a long one, and I imagine that they must be resting the pack mules every so often.

John Y.
Stephen Coan

Hello John,

Makes Ben-Hur sound like an epic.

I hope the book gets to you eventually. Sounds as bad as ordering books in the UK from SA. Sadly, the pack mules heading this way seem to have died.

Cheers, Stephen
AMB

The shipment to Australia may have sunk.......

AMB