rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Commissioning a Painting
Kenty

I have recently been in contact with Simon Smith the artist and asked whether he had any plans to depict the disaster at Ntombi Drift as I thought that when it came to Zulu War art this action was extremely overlooked.

Anyway he said that yes he had thought about it and was waiting for someone to commission one being done. Well, that got me thinking, which I try not to do on Tuesdays, what does commissioning a painting entail?

Can anyone help? I really don't want to get back to the artist not knowing what I'm on about. If I was to commission it (and I'm not saying I can afford to yet) would that mean I hold the copyright when it comes to selling prints.

Furthermore, would anyone be interested in an Ntombi Drift picture? Just canvassing, if you pardon the pun.

Kenty
Coll

Kenty

If I'm correct, when you commission a painting from an artist, you are paying only for the painting, the artist owns the rights.

However, the obvious way to be sure, is to actually discuss the details with the artist himself, the procedure, cost, etc.

Unless you have commissioned a painting before, I don't think the artist would expect you to know all that is involved.

I imagine this sort of information would be handy to know, should other enthusiasts wish to commission a specific painting themselves, depicting a scene/incident from during the AZW.

Good luck with this project, should you decide to pursue it.

Coll
Commissioning a Painting