rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Grave of Pte. John Jobbins
Alekudemus

Picked up from a local Facebook page. The grave is located in Trevethin, Pontypool, South Wales.
Some very good news today concerning our Veteran Associations project on the grave of Pte John Jobbins at the cemetery. Mike Black and myself visited E I Peakes Funeral Directors Pontnewynydd. we popped in on the off chance to make inquiries concerning the coloured chippings and the price...we were met by two very charming and very helpful staff Christine Whewell and Michelle Stratton funeral arrangers. These two staff not only did E I Peake a great service but also the Veterans too, they not only listened to our plight but set about seeing what E I Peake could do for us in the form of help in tidying up the grave of Pte Jobbins, to say we were blown away would very much be an understatement as within less than an hour they were back on the phone to us. They informed us both that their Manager..Mrs Gail Williams had sanctioned that they would...1. Supply the said green chippings, 2. Restore the grave to its original state, "Plus" they would put a new Memorial Vase upon it too. All this will be done "Free" of charge, and is to be done by Mr Simon Harris of Newport Memorials. We at the Veterans Association Pontypool Branch would like to say publicly that what has been done for us by E I Peake today has set us well ahead of our target and has taken a great deal of pressure off us to meet our target date for the memorial service. "We cannot thank you enough" we also wish that all our followers on the church site and other sites to please click like or show there appreciation verbally for their generosity and kindness, also we have not forgotten those people of whom offered donations prior to this and again would like publicly to say Thank you and hope you all continue to follow our progress and maybe attend the ceremony within the near future... Kindest regards...Steve Vaughan, relief Secretary Veterans Association Pontypool Branch.

Last edited by Alekudemus on Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Alan
Site Admin

It is gratifying that there are people who are so generous in their efforts to help. Our thanks to them.

It is gratifying that there are people who are so generous in their efforts to help. Our thanks to them.

I'll second that - and thanks for the information in the original post.

Peter
AMB

All,

The story has now made it to the BBC website. See:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-Wales-south-east-Wales-24052448

AMB
Pte John Jobbins
Colin Fielding

Good morning,

I understand the memorial service for Pte Jobbins is next Saturday (25th Jan). Are there any other details available as I would like to attend?

Best regards, Colin Fielding (John Williams/FieldingVC)
Alan
Site Admin

I've been in contact with Stephen Vaughan who's is one of the organisers.

The service will be Saturday 25th. Jan. at St Cadoc's Church, Leigh Rd, Trevethin, Pontypool NP4 8JF (01495 762228).
It begins at 11.30 in the church so arrive earlier. After the service there is a graveside short service.

Thanks for that, although it doesn't mention a pint anywhere?!!!!!!!!!!! Sad

Regs, Colin Fielding
Alan
Site Admin

There's an Italian restaurant across the road and the Mason's Arms on the boundary, although on street view, it's boarded up.

Another piece on the BBC site.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25728231

On a very windy and cold day, there was a good turnout for the commemoration service
in Saint Cadoc's Church in Trevethin of John Jobbins, 1061.
This was followed by a short service at the grave which included the laying of a wreath from
the Veterans Association. The local cadets, Association members and relatives of Jobbins were
there. Colin Fielding was also there.

You don't get an idea of the wind in this picture. It's the top of a hill.

The grave has been restored with the kind assistance of I E Peake, local undertakers, with the wreath from the Veterans Association.

Whilst I applaud the people who have ensured that this man's grave is well maintained, I am slightly concerned that they felt the need to emblazon a society's emblem on this ex-soldier's grave stone.

One suspect's that he was never a member of the said society.

AMB
Alan
Site Admin

I have been discussing this subject.

The Anglo Zulu Research Society was formed some time ago. One of its members
was Tony Arthur, who is the grandson of John Jobbins. He told me it was called The Anglo
Zulu 'Research' Society. The plaque doesn't have 'research'. He was there yesterday although
I didn't meet him. I did speak to him days before and asked him about the wisdom and ethics
of putting the logo on the defenders' graves, which was their intention. He assured me that
it would only happen with the consent of the relatives. As a society it appears to have become
somewhat dormant.

Meanwhile, our own John Young has formed the AZWRS, which I believe has nothing to do
with the first. John's was a flourishing body until the events following our dealings with
'Elizabeth Hogan' who, because John had not registered the name, started her/his own
society registered as the AZWRS despite the fact that he/she/they knew it was in use. Cricket?

Andrew,

As Alan has stated the grave was marked by the then Anglo-Zulu War Research Society, the design was sanctioned by members of the Jobbins' family who were at the time were officers and members of the South Wales Branch of the A.-Z.W.R.S. personally I would have been happier with a badge or emblem of his regiment. However the end result was not in my hands but in those of the society's local branch and the monument masons concerned.

Alan,

One doesn't need the detective ability of Sherlock Holmes to see where the current Anglo Zulu War Research Society is based.

John Y.

Last edited by John Young on Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
peterw

I'm confused now. What is the Anglo Zulu War Society?

Peter
John Young

Peter,

For reasons best known to themselves in the design of the marker, either the local branch of the A.-Z.W.R.S. or the monument masons omitted the word Research.

John Y.
Grave of Pte. John Jobbins