rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Wallis & Wallis Zulu Sale
peterw

Some here may be aware that the late David Smith's collection of Zulu artefacts is being sold by his widow. The sale will take place on 22 January 2014 and can now be accessed on The Saleroom. There are some super lots there so if anyone fancies treating themselves after Christmas, here's your chance.
http://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/search-results?searchterm=zulu&auctiontype=&sortterm=startDate&x=40&y=9&clientID=10124

Peter
Alan
Site Admin

The website doesn't seem that helpful with many items.

BBC news report of the sale - viewable in the UK with iPlayer:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03q8lvp/South_East_Today_22_01_2014/

Report starts about 20 minutes in.

Peter
AMB

peterw

I had a small flutter on three items - the first went 3X over my bid, the second 10X and the third only half. My view is that this sale was an aberration in that the prices did not reflect what comparable items had sold for previously. So if anyone has similar items in their collections I do not believe that they have risen five or ten fold overnight. Similarly, when comparable items come up for sale in future I don't believe the Wallis prices have set the new benchmark. Whether on eBay or at auction, the next lots will probably sell broadly for what they achieved previously. And I hope the lucky buyers will be able to chuckle to themselves at how much money they have "saved" compared to what they cost at Wallis. In respect of the weapons, while the examples at Wallis were good, they are relatively common, so missing out is not a "once in a lifetime" scenario. To those who did attend (I did not) and came away empty handed think of it as a fun day out and a great experience. There will be other chances.

Peter
Wallis & Wallis Zulu Sale