rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Anyone looking for a Rorke's Drift medal?
Sawubona

I stumbled across this offering of the medal of Rorke's Drift defender Lance-Sargent John Keys and thought one of you other members might be interested in acquiring it. I'd grab it myself, but just haven't got the discretionary dollars at the moment. Scroll down to the fourth offering, but you might want to have a seat first if you're not already sitting. https://www.stanleygibbons.com/stanleygibbons/view/content/sg_search?f=category&v=210876&m=add&fc=1&opration=AND
Alan
Site Admin

Is it Keys or Key?

Quite right! It is "John Key" . From the text of the offering:
"John Key attested at Secunderbad, India, on 28 August 1871, and was posted to the 2nd Battalion, 24th Foot. Appointed a Drummer in 1873, he reverted to Private in September 1877 and was appointed a Lance-Corporal in May 1878. He was promoted Corporal in July 1878 and appointed Lance-Sergeant on 19 February 1879.
He thus served as a Corporal in �B� Company at the epic defence of the mission station at Rorke�s Drift on 22nd/23rd January 1879. He was promoted to Sergeant in March 1880 and placed on the unattached list at Secunderbad on 1 March 1884."
peterw

The medal sold at DNW in September 2011 and hammered at �24,000 (�28,800 with commission). It was presumably bought by Stanley Gibbons who have had it on their site ever since.

Aside from the obvious uplift in price, the reason I suspect Key's medal remains unsold is that very little (nothing?) is known of his actions during the defence. For that kind of money collectors are likely to want a more interesting medal.

Peter
Anyone looking for a Rorke's Drift medal?