rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Sawubona

My thanks to you, Alan, for the link and to Ian Knight for that emotive tribute. I'm sorry that I didn't get to know Galloglas better than I did, yet I'm glad to have known him at all.

Last edited by Sawubona on Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Ian Knight's Tribute to Mike McCabe
Ron Sheeley

Wonderful tribute to Mike written by Ian Knight. Thanks admin for the link. Ron
Memorial Service
Alan
Site Admin

Just had the details of Mike's memorial service - it will be held at St Mary's Church,
Andover, SP10 1DP at 2 PM on Friday 29 November - all welcome. Reception at
adjacent hall across the road from church. Ample pay and display parking.
Ian Knight been asked to say a few words - there will be a notice in the
Times and Telegraph tomorrow.

Last edited by Alan on Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:50 pm; edited 2 times in total

I shall miss his quirky empathetic e-mails and his ability to make to-the-point remarks cutting through the dross.
I'm very sad to learn of this.
peterw

The AZW fraternity was very well represented at Mike's service today. Alan Critchley, Bill Cainan, Martin Everett and Mike Snook all made the journey to Andover, along with a shiny array of the army's top brass.

Mike seemed to be a man of two halves - soldier and historian - with his friends and colleagues on either side having little knowledge of the other. The service today shone light on both aspects of his life.

The tribute to his military career was provided by one of his Sandhurst contemporaries, Jim MacKenzie. Mike's service in uniform had a far greater depth than he ever acknowledged here, including multiple tours of Germany, Northern Ireland the former Yugoslavia, along with a spell in Intelligence.

Ian Knight recounted his experience of Mike as a sounding-board for analysis and interpretation. Mike's influence lives on in Ian's writing, notably Zulu Rising.

The service was conducted by the Rev Derek Overfield, Officiating Chaplain, Army Headquarters, Andover. His tribute echoed those of the previous two, that Mike was someone who was held in much higher regard than he often held others!

And so the congregation adjourned to the Andover Central Club for a final farewell. I feel somewhat of a fraud writing this as I suspect that I am the one who knew Mike least, but just happen to have got home first. I do know that the AZW community will be the poorer for his passing.

Peter
Alan
Site Admin

I did find the service very moving and felt that the world has lost someone who can't be replaced. It seems that everyone felt the same way, the talk from his friend and from Ian Knight captured the depth and humour of Mike. Sorry that he's gone.

You managed to get back quickly Peter, I've just got back. I wish someone had pointed out Mike Snook, we've communicated so many times but I've never met him. Where was he?

Alan

I had the advantage of living in the next county. Mike was on the end of the pew where I was sitting, next to Bill.

Peter
Alan
Site Admin

Perhaps I'll catch Mike next time!!!

Catch me for what?!! I was the tall, handsome, immaculately turned out one, without a moustache, next to the short, scruffy, ugly one with a moustache...something to do with museums I think.

Good address by Ian. Mike would have flashed back some self deprecatory remarks, but would have been inwardly flattered I'm sure.

M
Peter Ewart

Peter

Thanks for posting here your account of the service, which I'm sure did Mike proud.

P.
Jamie

Very sad news to us all.

I admired his passion on the subject and was thankful for the emails he sent correcting or advising me on some of my website content.