rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Knives issued to NCOs of the NNC.
GlennWade

Good Afternoon,

With regard to a helpful post from some time ago by John Young, Regulations for Field Forces in South Africa under the section entitled Natal Native Contingent with the side heading of Equipment for Europeans Regulation 159.
Each officer and non-commissioned officer will have issued to him:-

1 Rifle, bayonet, and belt - 1 scarlet puggaree.
And each non-commissioned officer, in addition:-
1 Great coat
1 Blanket
1 Haversack
1 Water Bottle
1 Canteen
1 Waterproof sheet
1 Short butcher's knife.

Have any forum members seen one of the aforementioned knives? I've been unable to locate an image or description. I'm guessing it may have been something like a hybrid machete/Bowie knife. I would be obliged for any ideas offered. Also, with regard to the rest of the kit would I be correct in assuming that it came from govt. stores and would likely be military issue?

Thanks for any replies,

Glenn

Hi Glen

We have in one of our Museum display cases a knife and scabbard picked up on the battlefield of Isandlwana - it does seem to fit the bill and has an 8" blade.

Bill
GlennWade

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the reply. I think I know the knife you mean. It has a handle made of bone/horn or some such and was kept in one of the longer, waist height cases (last time I saw it at least!) at the museum, yes? Certainly sounds like it could be the knife in question. I'm only down the road in Swansea so I shall have to make time to pop up and see it again soon.

The reason I asked was that I'm trying to get an NNC NCO kit together for re-enactment. An NNC NCO impression is, I think, easy to do, but also easy to do poorly. I'm hoping to get it as close as possible to how they might have looked. I was interested to read an excerpt of Harford where he mentions one of his NCOs carrying a revolver at Sokhexe. Private purchase, I assume, as they were not issued as part of the govt. kit.

Shadowy fellows with a shadowy reputation. Interesting bunch, though.

Best wishes,

Glenn