rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
What weapon was issued prior to the Martini Henry
Kiwi Sapper

Location: Middle Earth & Home of Narnia; (Auckland, New Zealand)
My apologies if this has been covered before, but I did search all the "Off topic" posts to no avail

Would some kind person( and I am assured there are many out there) tell me what the three issued "Long" fire arms were for the 24 th prior to the M.H. and if possible, the approximate approximate dates.
My Thanks.

It was a confusion of ideas between him and one of the lions he was hunting in Kenya that had caused A. B. Spottsworth to make the obituary column. He thought the lion was dead, and the lion thought it wasn't.
Adrian Whiting

Hello Kiwi Sapper,

Hopefully someone will be able to provide the exact details, but to try and offer a starting point;

The 1/24 received their MHRs circa 1875, the 2/24 by March 1875 (possibly late 1874). I believe both battalions had been issued the Snider Enfield, which was then replaced by the MHR. The Snider would have been issued from circa 1866. Philip Gon in "The road to Isandlwana (sic)" makes reference to the mounted infantry retaining the Snider post the MHR being available due to handing and felt recoil considerations.

The Snider would have been preceded by the Pattern '53 Enfield rifle, though I cannot assist with definitive details for either battalion. P53s were issued from circa 1854/5 (there had been issues prior to this in more limited numbers) but the supply was by the trade problematic and in fact led to a developing preference for RSAF manufacture for service arms.

The P53 was preceded by either the Pattern 51 Minie Rifle or the Pattern 1839 or 1842 Rifle Musket. I do not know which the 24th battalions had, if indeed they had any. The P39 and P42 were originally simple percussion muskets (smooth bore). The P51 was accepted for service and accordingly a number of the earlier muskets were simply rifled on the Minie principle. This led to a significant bore diameter, in the P42 Rifle Musket's case it was .758". It is possible that some battalions went from percussion musket to P53 Enfield.

As I say, hopefully someone will have exact details and dates for the 24th for you.

Kiwi Sapper

Location: Middle Earth & Home of Narnia; (Auckland, New Zealand)
What Ho Adrian.

My thanks for your full and helpful reply and as the dates sought were only approximate, you have addressed that point. As my interest lay with the Enfield 1853, and what preceded and followed it, you have also provided that which I sought.

Thanks again

It was a confusion of ideas between him and one of the lions he was hunting in Kenya that had caused A. B. Spottsworth to make the obituary column. He thought the lion was dead, and the lion thought it wasn't.
What weapon was issued prior to the Martini Henry