rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Regimental Museum, Brecon
The Scorer

I visited the museum yesterday for the first time since the completion of the revamping of the Zulu War Room.

I'd just like to say how impressed I was with what's been done. The room actually looks bigger, even though it's obviously not, and it's much easier to walk around and see each exhibit.

The diorama of Rorke's Drift in the middle of the room is excellent, and I'd like to congratulate Bill on this. During my visit I had a fairly long chat with (and an abbreviated guided tour from) Bill, and I'd like to thank him for that.

It's still an excellent museum, and very much worth a visit if you haven't been before - and a revisit if you have!

Smile
peterw

I echo all of that - it is well worth the trip. And to heap praise on Bill for a moment............with the larger museums, the senior curatorial staff are rarely seen. Bill has always been very accommodating and welcoming. I've been to Brecon many times but there is always something new to discover on every trip.

Peter
Peter Ewart

Agree completely. It is attractive, packed but still spacious - with improved "labelling" etc. And Bill is the perfect host - with the museum's future in mind, paying as much attention to the younger generation as to the older ones. I know of one 16 year old who was surprised to be pinned to the spot by the long arm of an M-H & bayonet wielded at full stretch by Bill during one of his personal tours - and that's not counting the high decibel roar which accompanied the thrust, frightening all present out of their skin!

Peter
The Scorer

I forgot to mention that, during my visit, we walked from the Zulu Room into the main room.

When we got there, there was a young lad (probably about 10 or 11, I'm not sure) sitting by the Machine Gun. Bill immediately said to the lad "Do you know that you can dress up in uniform?" and made real contact with him and his father.

I left them to go to the shop, but I'm sure that Bill went back after I'd left and helped them to see things. Just an example of Peter E's comments, I think.

Well done, Bill!

Smile
Bill Cainan 3

Thank you for the glowing testimonials - I'm currently glowing red with embarrassment !

It does re-enforce the point I've made before - if you are a visitor to this site and are contemplating a visit to Brecon, give me a ring first and I'll find the time for us to have a good chat, and of course I'll be able to tell you the TRUTH about Rorke's Drift and Isandlwana !!!

Thanks again

Bill
01874 613310
The Lt.

The next time someone pays a visit to the museum would you be good enough to bring a camera along to take photos of the Rorke's Drift Diorama sharing them on the forum on the Telling of the Zulu War in Toy Soldiers and wondering if anyone has already done so....The Lt.
Bill Cainan 3

Hi

I've just sent a few through to Admin. to post up.

Cheers

Bill
Alan
Site Admin

Not here yet Bill.

Here's one I prepared earlier to be going on with.

Alan wrote:
Here's one I prepared earlier to be going on with.

Thank you Alan and what I've seen from this photo is the exceptional talent of the individual who created it. The figures seen throughout the photo were originally sculpted by Cliff Sanderson with many of them being converted by the the individual who provided the figures for the diorama. His painting skills have brought his figures to life and the staging of them is outstanding. The Hinchliffe kit figures that Cliff created in the 70's were the first military miniatures of the Zulu War I purchased which started me collecting the Military Miniatures I've painted along with my Toy Soldiers of the Zulu War back in the early 80's. I'm really looking forward to seeing what you have in store for us Alan and once again thank you for providing the first of the photos you have plans for.....Joe aka The Lt.
Alan
Site Admin

Lt.
Bill Cainan has kindly send images of his great display.

Alan please thank Bill for me and agree it's a great display....Joe
Dewi Evans

Hi All,

Here are some photos I took on my last visit to the museum:

Regards,

Dewi.

Superb pics posted via Alan and Dewi.

Bill - It's a while since my last trip to Brecon, something I'm hoping to put right some time in the near future. I remember the last time seeing 2 different dioramas, one of Rorke's Drift by a very young Ian Knight, and a smaller one but with larger scale figures of the last stands at Isandlwana. I'm guessing the very large RD diorama pics posted above is the same one you had set up in your spare room when I visited a few years back? Are the others still on show or are they now in temporary storage?

Mark Hobson
The Lt.

Thanks Dewie for sending along the photos giving us a great overview of the diorama complementing the close up photos..........The Lt.
Regimental Museum, Brecon