rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Potchefstroom
Robert John

Busy reading Battles of South Africa by Tim Couzens and in the chapter regarding the above battle he mentions that, in the command of Colonel Richard Winslow there were two Artillerymen, namely 17-year-old Trumpeter Nicholas Martin and Driver Elias Tucker, who had been among the few to escape from Isandlwana.
Also in the same command were two others, Drivers Thomas Lewis and Abraham Evans, who were at Rorke's Drift.
I have never heard of any of them but if the above is true and I have no reason to doubt it, then they all must have had a hell of a story to tell.
Does anyone know if they put their story on paper and, if so, is it available to the general public ?

All the best,

Robert

Robert

The details are correct. Martin & Tucker survived Isandlwana and Evans and
Lewis were at RD (patients).

Lewis is actually mentioned in the letter by Pte David Jenkins (who has been in the press a lot lately ! - see separate thread). Evans wrote a brief account of the action at RD which appeared in "The Free Press of Monmouthshire" on April 18th 1913 - it is reproduced in Alan Baynham Jones & Lee Stevenson's book "Rorke's Drift by those who were there". He was also the subject of two articles in the "Western Mail" in 1914 - both articles appear in the same book.

Bill
Peter Ewart

Robert & Bill

And, of course, Walter Alphonsus Dunne himself. Defence of Rorke's Drift and Siege of Potchefstroom - not to mention the 9th Frontier War of 1877/78 and the Sekukuni Campaign, 1879. And he certainly put pen to paper, his account being published in the first issue of the Army Service Corps Journal in 1891 and republished with a full commentary by Ian Bennett as Eyewitness in Zululand (Greenhill, 1989).

And "Lucky Essex" was even jammier than any of the above, wasn't he?

Peter

P.S. Is this really that off-topic?
Alan
Site Admin

Not really off topic. Moved.

Gentlemen,
Many thanks for your answers -- I am now awaiting delivery of the book you mentioned Bill !!
My apologies for putting it in the wrong heading, the reason being that I read the original article in a book that had nothing to do with Isandlwana or Rork's Drift.
Ah well--you live and learn !

Robert