Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Zulu War Day - RLC Museum, 23rd March
peterw

Spotted this which may be of interest:
http://www.rlcmuseum.co.uk/docs/events.html

Various speakers -
Andy Robertshaw on Dalton
(Robertshaw dug a 60ft long replica WW1 trench in his back garden)
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2226235/Historian-Andrew-Robertshaw-builds-60ft-long-First-World-War-TRENCH-Surrey-garden-highlight-plight-frontline-Tommies.html
Ian Knight
Craig Appleton and Ian Church
Paul Weaver
William Britain Models

I've been to several events at the RLC Museum and have enjoyed them all.

Peter
peterw

Just a reminder that this is happening tomorrow.

Peter
peterw

I decided to brave the weather and attend - and it was well worth the effort. The RLC Museum is quite compact and has a natural convivial atmosphere. Numbers weren't huge, maybe around 40 at any one time, but the museum can't comfortably accommodate more anyway.

First of the speakers was Paul Weaver talking about communications with a host of original period equipment. One of the issues with these events is whether there is anything new to learn and Paul certainly answered that question. It's not an aspect that I had previously considered and am now much better informed.

Craig and Ian did a nice double act talking about the arms of the respective armies and Rorke's Drift, with a particular emphasis on the siege of the "hospital." This included a world-first demonstration of Martini Henry firing in the snow - or at least the first since the Afghan War of the 1870s. One of the firing party very usefully - if inadvertently - demonstrated the fallibility of the MH by jamming a round in the breech! The only casualty was a visitor who slipped in the snow when attempting a better position to take a picture. Ian had drawn up a plan of the hospital to explain the layout and shattered a few film myths - there were no bunk beds.

Curator Andy Robertshaw completed the day with a lively presentation on Dalton. This is the first time that I have seen Andy "perform" and he is quite a character.

I was delighted to meet old and new friends and am completely envious of those going to South Africa with Ian next month.

The RLC Museum is in the midst of overhauling its medal display. As well as an illustrious history, these guys are the modern day heroes of Afghanistan, at the forefront of countering IEDs. When it is finished, it will be quite amazing I'm sure.

Peter
Alan
Site Admin

Sorry I missed that.

Peter

Thanks for that report. I'd also hoped to get along there until other commitments bagged this weekend. Yesterday's weather might have kept some travellers from these parts away, the snow arriving here a day after the rest of the country got it. The MH demo in the snow sounds interesting! (What about NWF in the '90s, or had it been replaced by then?)

Peter
peterw

Yes, MHs in the snow was interesting and the sounds echoed off the building to provide a bit of competition to the lads blazing away at nearby Bisley. In respect of the dates, I'm just repeating Craig Appleton's words but I suspect the MH would have been replaced by the 1890s. No doubt others more qualified will pronounce in due course!

Peter
Peter Ewart

Peter

Does this mean we weren't listening the last time Neil explained it all from A to Z? We'll be in the doghouse next time!

P.
Zulu War Day - RLC Museum, 23rd March