rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
ESHOWE FORT
Robin

I visited the site last week and was very dissapointd to see that the site has been totally abandonded to nature. The adjoining Norwegian cemetery is being maintained
Mel

Robin
I was intending to visit Eshowe on my next trip to SA.

Google Earth shows a clearly defined shape to the fort. Just how overgrown is the fort these days? Is it possible to walk the ground?

I'm wondering if you have any photos you could post?

Mel
The grounds are walkable, but the grass is approx knee high. The crosses in the 'burial area" are rusting and falling over. The trenches dug which were previously visible were not visible, but I had not brought a layout map with me. Sorry I did not have my camera with me.
The signs to Nyezane are absent.
Regrettably, (my personal opinion) is its not worth a visit.
I did not visit Fort Nonqai (Natal Native Mounted Police) is run on a commercial basis and I have no doubt it is well run.
On the plus side I spoke to Manfred Kramer, the sugar cane farmer who owns the "Gingindlovu" battlefield which is going to remain in his family and that cemetery will be maintained. He mentioned that the carriage which we thought could have been for a Gatling gun has now been positively identified as the carriage for the rocket tubes but was abandoned because it was considered to be such useless ordinance.
I have not visited Fort Pearson recently but would expect that to be in reasonable condition.
John Young

Robin,

That's a family name from the past for me, I stayed with the Kramer family back in 1991 at My Own and with their help I was able to visit Nyezane & Gingindlovu.

Are AMAFA still involved with Fort Nonqai?

When I was out there last month because I took the N2 and missed all of the coastal battlefields, obviously the bridge crosses the Tugela alongside Fort Pearson. The last time I was in that neck of the woods (1999) the lower cemetery had suffered quite a bit of damage, with headstones knocked down and damaged.

It is on my list for my next visit.

John Y.
Keith Smith

John Y

Since the N2 was built, one needs to turn off much earlier to get on the R102 to find Fort Pearson etc.. Here are some directions:

1. Drive north on the N2 from Durban.
2. Just after the Mvoti Toll Plaza, take the exit to road 245 for Zinkwazi Beach and Darnall. At the end of the exit, turn left towards Darnall.
3. Continue along this road for about three kilometres, arriving at the junction with the major road R102.
4. Turn right and follow the road for about 18 kilometres, looking for a red-brown tourist sign pointing to a right turn to Fort Pearson, Ultimatum Tree and War Graves. The actual turn is about 300 metres ahead.
5. Turn right on to a dirt road, again signed as above, for about 700 metres. There should be a turn off to the left here, signed as the Harold Johnson Nature Reserve. The access gate may be locked, in which case there may be a sign telling you where to find the key. If you can gain access, there is a small military cemtery about 1500 metres, on the slight hill, on the right side of the road. You can walk it if you can't take the car. (Don�t leave anything visible in the car while you are away, or leave someone with it during your absence.)
6. From the Park gate, continue along the dirt road for another two kilometres. The dirt track to Fort Pearson is on your left but may not be marked. It�s about 700 metres, on a hill overlooking the Thukela River.
7. Another 600 metres on the �main� dirt road in the car will bring you to a new bridge over the N2. Continue over the bridge for another 400 metres and turn off left on to a poor dirt road. The Ultimatum Tree is ahead of you by the river. There is little of it left but what remains is fenced off.
8. If you continue along the principal dirt road until it takes a wide turn to the right, you will find the remains of Fort Williamson. In 1879, all the land from Fort Pearson to Fort Williamson was covered by the huge tented camp occupied by the First (Right) Column.

Let me know if anything is unclear. You can follow the route on Google Earth.

KIS
John Young

Keith,

Thanks for the information.

I'll let you know after my next visit - scheduled for 2016 - if it was of use.

Regards,

John Y.
ESHOWE FORT