Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
THE REGIMENTAL MUSEUM OF THE ROYAL Welsh - NEW WEB SITE
Bill Cainan 3

Hi Everyone

We have now updated our Website (with many thanks to Martin Everett) -
the detail is:

www.royalwelsh.org.uk

All former website should have a forwarding link.

Constructive criticism is always welcome

Bill Cainan
Curator
David Langley

Congratulations.

However, as an amateur and published historian primarily of the Royal Welch Fusiliers and noting that they were the senior component of the 2006 merger, I am puzzled to see no photographs of that regiment in the pre-2006 "random" selection.

Is there a formal policy of restricting RWF material to Caernarfon?

If so, I recommend that this be acknowledged on the site: perfectly acceptable if transparent.

My other plea is for the use of the apostrophe s ['s] in the possessive Wales's, as opposed to the clumsy modernism of Wales', which did not appear much in the era covered by the museum.
Martin Everett

David

Many thanks for the observations. Much appreciated.

We have based the website gallery collection on the photographs actually held in Brecon; i.e. Those from South Wales Borderers, Welch Regiment, Royal Regiment of Wales & Monmouthshire Regiment, and now The Royal Welsh.

The archives of the Royal Welch Fusiliers remain under control of their museum in Caernarfon Castle - the RWF archives themselves are actually located in Wrexham. The RWF Museum have their own website - there is a link from our home page - www.rwfmuseum.org.uk

All Regimental Museums have had to adapt to the changing structure of the British Army. That is why Brecon is now marketed as 'The Regimental Museum of The Royal Welsh'. It is vital that we have a close relationship with soldiers and cadets who are serving today wearing The Royal Welsh cap badge and importantly to continue to obtain the maximum support from the Ministry of Defence (our landlords). In this way the collection continues to grow for which we are grateful.

The Royal Welch Fusiliers Museum has the benefit of being located in one of most visited sites in Wales and a major proportion of the Castle entrance fees finances its operation.

We are a pan-Wales recruited regiment, it is important that we have a presence in Cardiff, Caernarfon and Brecon and have space to explain our rich history and display our treasures. Unfortunately there still is not sufficient room to do justice to every campaign in 320+ years since the initial regiments of foot were first raised.

Sorry, about the apostrophe - we had trouble with this symbol in the content moved from the old site and conversion of new text prepared in MS Word. When we next do an update to the site we will correct Wales' to Wales's.

peterw

Congratulations on the revamp - I can appreciate the work involved.

I'm very interested to see the Archives being put online. It's certainly useful to know what is held at Brecon. Is the intention to allow some free access and more detailed information - say soldiers' personal records - viewable only on payment? I think a combination of free and paid for information would be good - I certainly wouldn't expect free access to all the records.

As an aside, the link on the Archives page to "What's on" does not work.

Well done to all involved.

Peter
Martin Everett

Peter

Thank you for spotting the broken link on the Archives page which we will fix.

Yes, our intention is to publish our catalogue in stages. The museum has never been an official depository for soldiers' service papers - the information we do hold has been donated by kind families and friends and from research we have conducted ourselves at TNA and other archives. There are many gaps in our knowledge because of huge number of soldiers involved, particularly in the Great War.

Many enquirers assume information is 'on tap' - at the press of button as they say - as often shown on TVs 'Who do you think you are'. A reasonable charge is essential in order to continue to provide an effective service. The number of requests the museum now receives each day has increased significantly as the interest in family history has grown - yet the main roles of the museum's small team is to ensure visitors to Brecon have an enjoyable experience, educational groups gain knowledge, and the collection is well-maintained. It is a difficult balance in these days of increasing financial pressures.

We are grateful for Peter Critchley and his fine team for efforts they have put in to ensure the new site went live.

David Langley

Martin Everett wrote:
David

We are a pan-Wales recruited regiment, it is important that we have a presence in Cardiff, Caernarfon and Brecon and have space to explain our rich history and display our treasures. Unfortunately there still is not sufficient room to do justice to every campaign in 320+ years since the initial regiments of foot were first raised.

Sorry, about the apostrophe - we had trouble with this symbol in the content moved from the old site and conversion of new text prepared in MS Word. When we next do an update to the site we will correct Wales' to Wales's.

Thank you: working on a Sunday!

So, please, all I would ask is for a more obvious pointer to the RWF facilities for those wandering into your site for the first time?
THE REGIMENTAL MUSEUM OF THE ROYAL Welsh - NEW WEB SITE