rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Julian whybra

David
Mabin was General Staff Corps.
David Langley

Thank you. I find the Departmental Corps of the period baffling.

Is what you are describing officially called the "Commissariat and Transport Department, Staff and Corps" 1875 - 1888?

Compared with that area, Schoolmasters, Medical, Barrack staff and Schools of Instruction seem simple!

I think I'll stick to infantry!
Martin Everett

He was actually a clerk - and was promoted to Superindenting Clerk following Rorke's Drift - I suppose in today's army he would be Adjutant General's Corps - the thread orginally suggested that he was the senior NCO at Rorke's Drift - which technically he was - but would unlikely to have been involved directly in the planning and execution of defence.

David Langley

Martin Everett wrote:
He was actually a clerk - and was promoted to Superindenting Clerk following Rorke's Drift - I suppose in today's army he would be Adjutant General's Corps - the thread orginally suggested that he was the senior NCO at Rorke's Drift - which technically he was - but would unlikely to have been involved directly in the planning and execution of defence.

Thank you: did his Corps [whatever it was called] have a C-Sgt rank, or merely a staff-sergeant equivalent ?
I am sniffing around this as I have a huge dossier on the C-Sgt rank and equivalents and sense yet another actual C-Sgt in the wings: this to add to the infantry, the RA [for a while] and the RE [yes, again for a while].

Should have stuck to infantry ...............
Martin Everett

David

Sorry about the spelling (a slip) - should be 'Superintending or Superintendent Clerk'.

His documents show:

Transferred to General Staff of the Army 19/5/1872. Authority dated 23/9/1872.
Appointed Military Staff Clerk and Promoted to Sergeant 20/5/1872.
Awarded good conduct pay at 2d rate 1/6/1874.
Arrived in Dover 27/4/1875.
Appointed Colour/Sergeant 20/5/1875.
Re-engaged as a Colour/Sergeant to complete 21 years service 14/6/1876 at Dover.
Transferred to the District Office, Cape of Good Hope, South Africa dated 6/6/1878.
Served in South Africa 4/7/1878 � 2/2/1898 total 19 years 213 days.
Arrived on the Eastern Frontier, South Africa 28/7/1878.
Present during the defence of Rorke�s Drift Mission Station, Natal, South Africa 22-23/1/1879. [It is unknown why he was left at the drift when the General Lord Chelmsford crossed the river into Zululand].
Appointed Superintendent Clerk 19/2/1880.
Served in the first Boer War 1880-1 and was present at Laing�s Nek, Ingogo and Majuba Hill.
He was Chief Clerk to Sir George Colley.
He was stood by Sir George when Sir George was shot dead by the Boers�.
Awarded good conduct pay at 3d rate 1/6/1880 and Promoted to Sergeant/Major. etc, etc

David Langley

Martin that's brilliant! So another department had C-Sgts. A turn-up! Even Major Dawnay in his magisterial "Badges of WO and NCO ........etc" did not deal with that!

The Good Conduct pay is also of interest: the various Warrants and Orders do not spell out to the nth detail what to do once a man reached sergeant [corporal after rule change 1881] ....... the assumption was that, if he ceased to be "good" to the required degree, he ceased to be a sergeant! But the rules do provide [wording differs in different Warrants]

..... 997. A soldier reduced from a higher rank to one of the ranks eligible for a GC badge [and pay!] shall be at once awarded a number of badges less by one than he would have been entitled to .......

So this was a safety net for demoted NCOs.

Fascinating, and thank you again.
Julian whybra

David
The General Staff Corps was nothing to do with the Army Commissariat and Transport Department. Two different animals.
David Langley

Julian whybra wrote:
David
The General Staff Corps was nothing to do with the Army Commissariat and Transport Department. Two different animals.

Please where can I read to brush up on this alarming gap .......... in my admittedly too large library I have nothing at all that deals adequately with the small but vital cogs of the military wheel ...... or have I ........ perhaps glossed over as being not sufficiently warlike?
John Young

David,

That's why my question on the VWF has gone unanswered then! You've never heard of the unit!

John
David Langley

John Young wrote:
David,

That's why my question on the VWF has gone unanswered then! You've never heard of the unit!

John

Sorry if I have been rude, the pace and complexities of life sometimes reveal me for the slow old dodderer that I am but WHAT WHAT WHAT?
The SNCO ?