rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Keith Smith

AG

The white track peters out in a patch of woodland - just move over to the left side of this bush and you can just pick up the track again at a small oval homestead, which then continues west along the ridge line.

I made an error with my post of the grave site yesterday - please substitute 28 for the 20 I posted. There you will see two white buildings set within a group of Zulu roundel huts. Quite where the grave is I don't remember but it is within 50 meters. The second white hut is an addition since I was there. You may find that the grave has now been more formally presented for visitors.

By the by, the wagon on which the body of Cetshwayo was transported, wrapped sitting upright in the traditional Zulu manner, is not longer there but can be seen in the Ondini Museum at Ulundi.

KIS
AG

KIS

I can now see the track you mean, I've followed it, and managed to arrive at the co ordinates you gave, with the two white buildings set within a group of Zulu roundel huts.
Quite a way off the main road eh!
I think we can give it a go (weather dependant), making sure we set out early, and having time on our hands.
Our trip is not until Feb, so we have plenty of time to mull over it.
Thanks again.

AG
Robin

The annual SAMHS Battlefield tour this year 27/28 October 2012 will be visiting the grave as well as some of the 1906 Bambatha Rebellion sites. Tour leader as usual Ken Gillings. Cost ZAR50. Overnight accomodation George Hotel Eshowe.
Nkandla is the home town of President Jacob Zuma so it has grown considerably recently. I don't think those of us on tour will be invited for tea
Ken Gillings

Good evening everyone. My co-ordinates are spot on. The grave is situated in the grove of trees to the left of the road, where it curves to the left. The white building that some of you refer to is the store that is owned by one of the Shezi families. It used to belong to Jotham Shezi, who became the custodian after the death of Hambayedwa Shezi, who if I remember correctly, was the son of Sigananda. He bore a remarkable resemblance to Sigananda. Jotham used to work for Dunlops in Durban and whenever I went to 'hlonipha' (pay respects to) the grave, he used to blow a bugle to herald my arrival!
I first visited the grave in the company of my mentor, 'Makhandakhanda' (SB Bourquin), 'Midge' Carter, Terry Willson and Justin Hulme. It was an unforgettable experience but there was no road to the grave in those days.
When Hambayedwa Shezi was eventually convinced of our bona fides, he led us from his homestead on the slopes of Bope Ridge to the fringe of that circle of trees that you can see on Google Earth. We walked in a circular fashion, while Hambayedwa 'spoke' to the spirit of King Cetshwayo. Then he suddenly stopped and pointed with his fist at a mound, with the remnants of the wagon that was used to transport his body clearly visible.
You'll find a (very amateurish) account of this unique experience on the South African Military History Society website.
As has been mentioned, I'll be leading a visit to the grave and Mome Gorge over the weekend of the 27th and 28th October 2012. The cost is R50, which will go towards Society funds. A very special rate has been arranged with the George Hotel in Eshowe. If any members of the forum happen to be in KwaZulu-Natal then, you will be very welcome to join us. Regards, Ken

Ken
Your confirmation of the co-ordinates is encouraging, I think we will give it a go (weather dependant), I've followed the track from the main road and can see the grove of trees you refer to on GE.
How long in your estimation, would that take from the main road to the site ?
Obviously it would be slow going from there, maybe you could time it on your up and coming visit in October.

Thanks
AG
Ken Gillings

It depends on the main road that you are referring to. These are all secondary roads in this area, although the road from Kranskop to the Eshowe / Nkandla road is being tarred. Is that the main road you are referring to? The road from Kranskop to the abovementioned road passes President Zuma's homestead so it is being given priority. The road to the grave was once signposted but the sign was stolen several years ago, so you need to know where to turn off (at Mamba).
Last time I visited the grave (about 18 months ago) the road to the store below Bope Ridge was in excellent condition and is easily negotiated in a conventional car, but things can change in Africa.
You are welcome to contact me should you require any assistance. Regards, Ken

Ken
Can you check your east co ordinate and confirm please? There is no such co ordinate as the one you refer to i.e.. 31 04.804

Mel - I've just just zoomed onto the site again, using those co-ordinates. The bottom of the pin is on the grave! I've just e-mailed you the image. Regards, Ken

Ken has e mailed this GE image and has asked me to post it on his behalf.

This pinpoints the grave location.
I didn't realise that my computer was showing the co ordinates in deg, mins and secs
i.e., 31deg, 04min, 48.29secs. (48.29secs = .804mins)

Ken/Mel

Thanks for posting the GE image, that's just how I was seeing it also, so it is very reassuring to know we are on the right track.
Robin

The SAMHS annual battlefield tour this last weekend included a visit to the grave. The road from Eshowe to Kranskop has been tarred and passes through very scenic countryside, unfortunately very misty around Kranskop. Great driving over the Tugela at middle drift with the river flowing quickly below the single lane bridge
The turnoff to the grave is not signposted but there is a large building at the t-junction housing all the government social departments and a police station. The road to the grave is tarred with the occasional pothole. Altough the road is very twisty and has plenty of up/downhills it is an enjoyable drive even if just for the scenery.
There were 23 vehicles in our convoy and the local community, preadvised were friendly and we all had a very enjoyable visit.
AG

Robin
When you say middle drift, is that shown on Google map as Jameson's Drift, or are they two different places ?

AG
Ken Gillings

I'm sure Robin will respond but no - Middle Drift is downstream of Jameson's Drift, which is on the road between Kranskop and Qhudeni (which in turn takes you along the high ground the Phindo, scene of Major John Dartnell's skirmish before Isandlwana).
Middle Drift is opposite Ndondonwane (scene of an amazing archaeological survey in the 1970s). It is where No 2 Column was deployed prior to the invasion of Zululand in 1879. I'll send Admin a photograph of the site of Durnford's fort from the Zululand side of the uThukela (Tugela) taken from Ndondonwane. Regards, Ken

From admin (Alan really)