rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Some Remarkable Helmets for Auction and More
Sawubona

I had to share this upcoming "colonial" auction with the rest of the denizens here:

http://rockislandauction.com/search/1/aid/56

Although the estimates for the offerings are out of my league (by quite a bit, I might add), just scrolling through the list and enlarging the photos (click on the thumbnails for enlargements) still got me a bit excited. I particularly like the 24th officer's home service helmet and the Natal Carbineers field service helmet.

For some reason, the link above works erratically, but if one types "helmet" into the search field, the whole extensive list is displayed. There are also some "sweet" tunics and several Martinis as well (most or all marked "NS"-- i.e.: Native Service).

I particularly like item #3279!
Sawubona

And don't miss the lancer czapkas. Unbelievable! I'm thinking of going to Illinois just to see this stuff before the collection is broken up. I can't imagine more high end period headgear together in one place ever again.
peterw

There are several South Africa medals including one to an Isandlwana casualty. For whatever reason, the auctioneer is selling many of the medals - to different recipients - in groups of three or four. This is going to price many out of the running as few will want to gamble on needing to sell the medals they do not want.

Overall, a fascinating collection.

Peter
Some Remarkable Helmets for Auction and More