rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Ian Knight
peterw

I can't make the event this weekend but I'm pleased to see that Ian has finished revamping his website.

It looks as if it will be padded out over time with news and articles. In the Blog section there is an interesting piece on the guns used for Cetshwayo's coronation, including a fantastic contemporary photo. And there's a plug for RDVC in the Links.

http://www.ianknightzulu.com/

Peter
Coll

Peter

That's great news. Thanks for the link.

I see there is/will be a blog by Ian, as well as a forum, though I don't know if the latter is fully activated yet, as I didn't want to try and be the first to register as a member (assuming I'll be accepted).

I wonder if Ian himself will join in the discussions/debates.

Coll
Coll

Further to the above.

Forum must be activated, as it allows you to apply for new member account, where you obtain an e-mail, informing that you will be considered, and on acceptance another e-mail will be sent with password and log-in details.

Coll
Galloglas

Seems to be a reasonable enough screening procedure if a 'more serious' forum is envisaged.
After all, there are others too, and, a site owner (facing the operating costs) surely has some preogatives.

G
Coll

I know that Ian would rather not deal with heated debates, but more in the way of polite discussion about various subjects.

I'll be registering under 'Coll', that way if he knows of me through this forum, a decision to accept/not accept my membership should be straightforward, as I was previously totally banned from a multi-campaign forum having only just joined, once I was 'recognised' after a few posts.

I understood why though.

Coll
Galloglas

I don't suppose that it's a matter of 'acceptance' or 'rejection' but - probably, I don't actually know - more a matter of whether the composition of a site is likely to be favourable to its longer term success, or not.

That's something that those wanting to join a site need to reflect on and then remember whilst still participating. Lapse we all occasionally do, more's the pity.
Though no doubt somebody will now pop up to say that they never do!
G
Sawubona

I never do! Sorry, Galloglass, but I just couldn't resist. Mr. Knight is a superlative writer and (IMHO) his only equal in "turning a phrase" is Morris himself. What I would give to have been the proverbial fly-on-the-wall if they had ever met over a couple of pints (each?).
peterw

My guess is that the Blog is one-way traffic - it's not a discussion forum.

Peter
Galloglas

Time spent on reconnaissance is seldom wasted.....

http://www.ianknightzulu.com/forum

G
peterw

Time spent on reconnaissance is seldom wasted.....

Indeed. Blog and Forum are separate sections.

Peter
Coll

Apparently, Ian's forum is only for those who have been on tours with him, how they viewed the events themselves and probably their opinions on various connected matters. Any others can't post.

Coll
Coll

Has anyone here been on one of Ian's tours ?

Coll
peterw

Has anyone here been on one of Ian's tours ?

Sadly, no.

Peter
Alan
Site Admin

I went with Ian on one tour but it wasn't a Holts. We swam the Buffalo together. He'll have to marry me now!

I only got as far as sending for the tour details and costs several years ago, when I think Ian Castle also did tours with him.

Coll
Ian Knight