rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Rorke's Drift & Islandlwana soldiers birth place
Shane

Bit of a general and hopeful question does any body know where and how the best place to find birth places of soldiers who fought in these two battles I'm interested in both family and local history and was hoping to find a soldier born in my local area Ormskirk and Skelmersdale both near Liverpool.

Thanks
Martin Everett

Shane,

The main difficulty of undertaking this research is that the soldiers' service papers for those killed at Isandlwana have not survived in the National Archives. This was standard practice in Victorian times.

From the research done so far there does not appear to be any soldiers in the 24th Foot who were at Isandlwana or Rorke's Drift have a direct link with Ormskirk or Skelmersdale, although there are many with links to Liverpool, Manchester and Warrington. 2Lt Arnold Birch - who joined the 1/24th as a replacement after Isandlwana - was born in Chorlton-upon-Medlock.

The best way of finding a lost local link is to trawl through local newspapers of the 1879 period to see whether a local link was reported.

Shane

Thanks for the reply I've searched the local paper with no luck but I have had no luck finding anything in the same paper about a couple of men who were killed in the Boer war but there is a memorial to them in the town. I will keep searching and maybe I will get lucky which in my experience in family and local history so far is just as important as good research.
Martin Everett

Shane,

Anglo-Boer war is easier - if you have the names - there is a Roll of Honour which I can lookup to see where they are buried in South Africa.

Rorke's Drift & Islandlwana soldiers birth place