rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
de Neuville and Lady Butler
Peter Ewart

Sifting through some sundry research papers, I see that I once made a note from the Exeter & Plymouth Gazette of 28 February 1880 that Lady Butler's painting of the engagement at Rorke's Drift "is nearly completed."

I hadn't realised that she, too, had been so quick off the mark, as de Neuville's completed effort was first exhibited at the New Bond St galleries of the FAS in mid-March ("soldiers in uniform free of charge before noon") of the same year. Presumably they were aware of each other's efforts? Certainly both had used returning AZW personnel. Does anyone know the date of the first public showing of Lady B's painting?

Peter
John Young

Peter,

Lady Butler's The defence of Rorke's Drift, January 22nd, 1879 was completed in 1880, it was first exhibited at the 1881 Royal Academy Exhibition, judging by the newspaper reports I would say that was in May 1881.

John Y.
Peter Ewart

Many thanks for that John. Given that de Neuville's painting was exhibited almost before the paint was dry I'm slightly surprised Lady Butler's effort was not shown for some time after it was finished - or so it appears. Perhaps it was an annual exhibition and she just missed the 1880 one?

Peter
de Neuville and Lady Butler