rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Avatars - Appearing At The Side Of Members' Posts ?
Coll

One thing I very much liked about Harman's site, was the use of avatars, that appeared at the side of members' posts.

I was previously a member of his forum, in which I had the well-known portrait photo of Col. Durnford as my avatar.

On looking at my profile here, it seems it might be possible to add an avatar on this forum, though I don't wish to lessen the more serious nature of the topics, but maybe other members could add images of themselves instead - giving faces to names.

If this is considered, could I have Col. Durnford as my avatar again, though I don't know how to add it ? Confused

It'd help identify my posts in discussions quicker too.

Just a thought. Idea

Coll
Alan
Site Admin

Coll,

Avatars are at present not available to members. They could possibly be but in any event,
I'd be unhappy to have images other than that of the contributor. It would not add
anything if there were to be tacky logos or pictures used.
I can check on the feasibility. Anybody else have any thoughts?

Alan

Yes. I understand. The images would have to go through you first, as long as members aren't able to alter their avatar after your go-ahead, to something not acceptable on the forum.

It may be a bad idea, but thought I'd put it forward anyway.

Coll
peterw

I wouldn't add a picture of myself but don't have a problem with the concept of avatars.

Peter
Kiwi Sapper

Location: Middle Earth & Home of Narnia; (Auckland, New Zealand)
I do use avatars on my regular sites, but am continually appalled by some that I see being proudly displayed.

Also, bearing in mind the size constraints, the detail is usually absent and probably, in my humble opinion therefore of little use in displaying one's phizog.

It was a confusion of ideas between him and one of the lions he was hunting in Kenya that had caused A. B. Spottsworth to make the obituary column. He thought the lion was dead, and the lion thought it wasn't.
Coll

Kiwi

The avatar that I had was of a reasonable size (1.5" x 1.5" approx.), showing only Durnford's head, instead of trying to fit in a larger photo of him which wouldn't really show any detail, the 'box' being too small.

Coll
Coll

Alan

Thanks for sorting the writing of the quote at the bottom of my posts. Smile

Coll
Alan
Site Admin

It helps to distinguish signatures from text of the topic.