rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Edward Durnford's Grave Location ?
Coll

I'll never get to visit Africa and pay my respects at Anthony's grave, however, due to Edward's involvement post-Isandlwana, as well as being his brother, I may eventually get to visit his resting place in England.

Please can anyone give me details - town, cemetery, etc. ?

Many thanks in advance.

Coll
Edward Durnford's Grave Location
liz

St Nicholas's Church, Harpenden, Hertfordshire.
Liz
Coll

Liz

Thankyou very much. Very Happy

Coll
Coll

May I ask if any members live near to/or in this area, who could, if able, obtain a photograph of Edward's grave and marker for recognition, as I live too far away ?

Thankyou.

Coll
Alan
Site Admin

I've looked once Coll. Without any joy.

Alan

Although I don't know the 'workings' of a cemetery, I wonder if the warden/caretaker has a layout of the plots, much like a map containing plot numbers for reference to where individuals are buried ?

There might be an office where to get details on arrival.

Hopefully, someone can pinpoint the grave's location within the cemetery.

Thankyou

Coll
Alan
Site Admin

I'm living in Wales now, isn't it. It wasn't a large place and there didn't appear to be any one around who could help.

You were in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.

KIS
Paul Bryant-Quinn

That takes me right back. To the Zork calendar year 948, to be precise ...

Wink
Coll

Hmm...I'm not understanding Paul. Confused

Anyway, with the cemetery being so far away, I'd be wasting my travelling money on searching, with no result at the end. Sad

I'm sure it'd be marked with a headstone, but whether the wording has been eroded may be the cause, or damaged, unless it is marked with a small plaque on the ground, which has been covered with grass, etc.

Coll
Peter Ewart

Coll

The grave appears to be in a churchyard. You could initially approach the current incumbent (contact details from Crockford's Clerical Directory via your own public library reference room who could pass on the details to you by phone). It is possible a copy of any plan is held in the vestry. It may also be found in the diocesan record office (which may be in the local county record office, the cathedral archives or in Diocesan House) or it is perfectly possible no plan survives or has ever been made. The burial register itself may indicate the position of the plot by number - again, the locations above can help. It is also possible that the inscriptions in the graveyard have already been transcribed and published by a local history society or family history society - they or the local library and CRO can help there.

In the case of a municipal cemetery the local authority will be responsible for its upkeep and will almost certainly have a copy of the cemetery plan if one exists. The council itself will have a parks, gardens and cemeteries dept who can deal with your enquiry or point you towards the relevant personnel. The county record office may also be able to help with a copy of the plan if the local authority can't. It is also highly likely the reference or local studies dept of the local public library will be able to assist. An enquiry from you to any one or all of the above would be a perfectly routine request which they are used to dealing with regularly. Be prepared to be merely pointed in the right direction at first by whichever office you contact, and also exercise patience in awaiting a reply - certainly days, possibly weeks. Don't expect email correspondence to be responded to more quickly than a postal request other than by the day or so saved "in the post."

Any or all of the above can be done without leaving the chair by your computer. Virtually all, if not all, the contacts can be traced (and also contacted) online. SAE with postal correspondence is usually appreciated.

Yes, the likelihood - given his social status - is that Edward's grave was marked with a stone. But it's far from certain. Even well into the 20th century a large number (perhaps half?) of all interments were not marked by the family.

A piece of cake, Coll. Let us all know how you get on. Unless Liz comes on here first and solves it for you! Who knows, it might even be inside the church and not in the churchyard itself.

Peter
Paul Bryant-Quinn

Peter Ewart wrote:
you could initially approach the current incumbent (contact details from Crockford's Clerical Directory via your own public library reference room who could pass on the details to you by phone).

Peter - if http://www.stnicholasharpenden.org.uk/stnicholas2010.html is the church in question, then I believe that the priest in charge is the Rev'd. Linda Williams: see further http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Nicholas_Church,_Harpenden
Peter Ewart

There you are, Coll. Away you go.

P.

P.S. My connection with Col A. W. Durnford, incidentally, is that my late uncle Cecil Rhodes once tied up the shiny, brass front-door knocker (with his father's hop string) of a farmer who had once been a close neighbour (next door but one) of the late Col AWD's surviving daughter and her husband, Mr Rapp, in Bexhill. As you can imagine, I dine out successfully on this much coveted celebrity status as often as possible.

Incidentally, Uncle Cecil wrote a 28-stanza poem recording this epic achievement (four other knockers were involved, you see) and a 7-verse sequel a little later. Try as I might I cannot find a closer link between the AZW and myself.
Galloglas

This also near the then Durnford property of Rothamsted Lodge, near Hatching Green. Now, I think, a kindergarten or summat similar..
G
Coll

All

Thanks for the info.

Coll
Edward Durnford's Grave Location ?