rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Galloglas

I've just had the opportunity to read the backtrail.

Gosh, I never knew that Elizabeth Hogan was really a bloke, strewth my oath, nor that Mel(?) was Edward Bear - who funnily enough I thought I had actually met in SW France a few months before he sadly died, or at least that's what he said.

G
Galloglas

He did not, of course, say that he was dead. That would be silly.

G
Sawubona

Samuel Clemens, Alan Kronigsberg, Frederick Austerlitz, Betty Joan Perske, Charles Dodgson, Marion Michael Morrison, Archibald Leach, Taidje Kahn, Maurice Micklewhite (of course)... ad nauseum.

Isn't "Lord Chelmsford" a pseudonym for that matter?

And not to offend anyone, but the gospel hymn just doesn't seem to work as well when sung as: "Oh, what a friend we have in Joshua Ben Joseph".

It seems to me as though pseudonyms are a perfectly acceptable part of our culture. To paraphrase Julius Henry Marx (AKA "Groucho") "That's my final opinion and if you don't like it, then I have others".

Lorenzo Melocoton de Los Estados Unidos Wink
Mel

G
Yes it was a very hot sunny day wasn't it? Didn't think that you had realised it was me though. The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated.

Site Admin

Galloglas, you're playing with us. You have engaged people anonymously on the forum, people
who know you personally and visa versa, without them knowing that it's you they are dealing with.
You have encounters which benefit from an undeclared authority yet retain the option of claiming non-expert status if desired.

Please be clear, I asked this question because it was asked of me. Everyone will have their own feelings on the subject.
I don't intend making any rules which are binding on contributors. I'm hoping that an airing of the subject may help.

Alan,

Well, and entirely seriously, I would suggest that the main points are well made by you, and - as always - are deserving of respect because it is you making them.
We should, I also suggest, return to 'normal jogging' but with a more scrupulous care towards the points that would appear to have raised concerns.

G
Alan
Site Admin

Give us a kiss first!

Here's my penn'orth.

As you know, my real name is up there, and anyone who might be interested is welcome to know where I live and work. Now, speaking personally, I don't mind someone using a pseudonym: there may indeed be good reason for that person to retain his or her anonymity in the open forum, and it's all the same to me whether I'm exchanging posts with someone called John Smith or Adrian Aardvark, as not even sensible sounding names are necessarily going to be the poster's own.

I propose a compromise. When someone registers for this site, he or she is welcome to use a pseudonym on condition that their actual identity be made known to Alan, who is of course a model of discretion. And should that person then prove to be using their anonymity mischievously, or to less than honourable ends, the appropriate response would be left to Alan himself.
Galloglas

Alan,

Even assuming that you have 'the usual' Equality and Diversity policy in place on your site, and that 'those London Manners' have now also spread to South Wales. I can only really offer up an e-kiss.

Playfully and anonymously yours.

G
Peter Quantrill

To engage in a Forum as valuable as that created by Alan and Peter is a privilege.
However, my personal view is that it is wrong, when entering into a serious debate, to hide behind a pseudonym. Keith Smith has covered the point well and I agree that:
�I cannot think of a valid reason for hiding behind a pseudonym.�
On occasions some �faceless� comments have been both inappropriate and facetious, not to mention discourteous. These have been dealt with by Alan, something that should not have required his attention.
Personally I find it difficult to respond to someone who hides behind a mask, for reasons known only to himself/herself.
The topic of Pulleine/Durnford, together with TMFH still has �meat� left. If the topic gets stale or repetitive, Alan will make his views felt.
At this stage I have refrained from pursuing either subject as I am disinclined to respond to the �faceless.�
Anonymity in an open debate forum is, in my opinion, � bad form� and distinctly �unfriendly.� �
Peter Q.
Alan
Site Admin

I have had one member who is posting under a pseudonym explaining a serious and
perfectly valid reason for anonymity on the internet in general. I respect that situation.

PeterQ
For fear of repeating myself, I don't have strong views on anonymity on this forum because it simply isn't a problem to me. A visit to other forums will show that usernames and anonymity are the norm. Does it really matter? There is no advantage whatsoever in hiding behind a username in any discussion as either one's views are valid and relevant or they are not. I, for one, will not be responding to the latter. You only need do the same.

It will be a great loss to this forum if you decide to discontinue and I ask you to reconsider. There is, still, meat on the bones.

Peter has been in touch with me and has asked me to post to say that he has had to return to hospital for a few days following his bypass op and that he will be continuing the relevant threads in a little while.

I feel I too should respond to this topic.

I did use a different username in 2010, but did as has been suggested on this topic, let it be known to Alan straight away who I was.

Additionally, as has been mentioned on this topic, I let it be known immediately, that I was Coll to the other members, and why I had changed some of my details - that was all it was, a change, not mischief.

I did sign posts as C.J., which are my first and middle-name initials, rather than Coll, which many others on the forum have done, by using the initial of their first name or of their first and last name, or all of their initials.

Trouble arose, not through any mischief by myself, but by a huge issue being made about my username, even though I kept clarifying the matter of who I was.

I followed all the rules mentioned in this topic by others, but wasn't ever accepted again, due to thoughts that somehow I had an agenda, which couldn't have been further from the truth.

Anyway, I'm back as Coll, though won't be posting as regular as before, as I only wish to maintain contact with the forum.

I hope this has cleared up all that has gone before regards to myself.

Coll
Anonymity of forum members