rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
RDVC visit to SA
Mel

With Alan's permission I am posting to see if anyone is interested in a RDVC trip to SA next year. Best time would probably be late October with the grass and rivers low. I am thinking a full week staying at FDL. The itinary would obviously include Isandlwana, The Fugitives Trail, RD, Ngwebini and Mangeni, Hlobane, Khambula, Prince Imperial and Intombi. For the last day, on route to J'burgh airport there would be a visit to the film set location of "Zulu" in the Royal Natal Park. I am happy to make all arrangements.
If anyone is interested please e mail me or phone.

[email protected]

01384 74192

From what I've seen in the past, Mel, I couldn't imagine anyone I'd rather have guide me over the hallowed ground of the Zulu film location at RNNP (is it called simply The Royal Natal Park now or was the elision of "National" just a slip on your part?)
Mel

Saw,
Thanks for that and it is, of course, the Royal Natal National Park.

Mike Snook has contacted me to say that he should be in SA at the time of the proposed trip and that he is willing to provide a guided tour of the Isandlwana area. Thanks for that kind offer Mike.

Mel

Sadly I have other financial priorities but otherwise I would have loved to take part.

I really hope it comes off - and that FDL give you a decent discount for that length of stay.

Peter
The Scorer

Can I ask whether there's been any progress with this proposal, please?

Thanks!

Smile
Mark Hobson

Yes, an update would be superb - although it's probably too late for this year. It would be something to keep in mind for the future however.

I haven't been out to the battlefields for a few years now, and those rolling hills of Zululand are calling me...

Mark
The Scorer

Mel has contacted me direct and said:

"Although several RDVC members contacted me regarding the proposed trip, sadly, no one could make it for this October."

Sad, but I was one of them .... but thanks, Mel, anyway!

Smile
whiteheadalfie

Mel

Just out of curiousity, how much did you anticipate this trip would have cost on an individual basis?

Paul
Mel

Paul
Myself and three mates are visiting SA this October for one week. Cost will be approx �1500/�1600 each including flights, all accomodation, meals, car hire, petrol, Hlobane guide, beer and sun tan lotion.

Mel

You know how to make someone jealous. I'm booking a seat for your Hlobane talk in Brecon next year.

Peter
Mel

Just returned, and for those who are planning to visit Hlobane, I can report that the mining track has now deteriated quite badly due, in part, to last winter rains. Our guide had to select first gear/low ratio in places. He's of the opinion that the mine company will abandon the track next year and then it's a good long walk for future visitors. (Unless you can ride a horse) The track is now, in places, very hard to find ontop of Hlobane and large surface fissures make it a bit tricky when you're walking around trying to pick up the track. We came upon one fissure that was two feet wide /20 feet long and just disappeared into the mountain.

I have dreamt of visiting these places for many years! Should this trip be possible for 2012, please do count me in!! I would love to visit these hallowed places!

Rust
Mel

Saw
Trying to pm you with no success. Can you e mail me?
[email protected]