rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
questions..... questions.....
oldcontemtible

Coming here on and off, I keep losing track of the posting anyway. I hope this new one doesn't appear to be repetition of others.
I have two sons who seem to get interested in this period, and want to assemble a proper uniform and kit. being in Belgium this seems not be evident as to find the proper sutlers for this.
Also acquiring a Martini-Henry will cost them dearly. Hence these questions:

Are there any uniform makers out there, and secondly, do repro Martini's exist?
if no uniform makers exist (I knew Sutlers Stures in the UK) where can I get hold of a pattern to make it myself ?

thanks,

Guy
Kiwi Sapper

Location: Middle Earth & Home of Narnia; (Auckland, New Zealand)
A friendly word of advice.............. Very Happy

Before sending money to Sutlers UK, check the threads about them in this board.

It was a confusion of ideas between him and one of the lions he was hunting in Kenya that had caused A. B. Spottsworth to make the obituary column. He thought the lion was dead, and the lion thought it wasn't.
oldcontemtible

I'm afraid I'm fully aware about Sutlers.
it is strange though since my first (and only) buy from him, now 12 years ago, went very smoothly. I guess thing change.

Guy
tonyjen1

Hello Guy,
I'm relatively new to the forum but have similar interests and questions as yourself. I have done some research and have a few sites that may be of use.
www.replicaters.com/Victorian.html is a site that has a reproduction of the Zulu War uniform. I haven't actually bought one but it's a starting point (sorry if you already have this information).
http://www.thehistorybunker.co.uk/acatalog/British_Army_Victorian_Era_19th_century_uniforms.html is another site that seems to have the full uniform.

The pith helmet is a little more difficult to get an accurate representation. There are a lot out there, but few are actually representative of the shape of the helmet. Theoretically it should be narrow with flat sides and front. The closest example is the helmet worn by the Diehards www.thediehards.co.uk
The helmet should have a rounded front but most of the repros are pointed.
If you look at the 1879 pith helmet posting in the uniform section you will see some photos of some of the helmets I have found. The closest one for me was a Vietnam made version on ebay which I reshaped by soaking in hot water and clamping. I approached the makers of the Diehards helmets but they only do bulk runs and are relatively expensive.

www.ima-usa.com/British-p-1871-Martini-Henry-mkii-short-lever-rifle-1870-s-dated-untouched.html is a site which sells old firearms. Look up Martini Henry and you will see various examples in varying conditions.

Finally if all else fails ask an expert- http://www.victorianstrollers.co.uk/stevesuniforms/forsale.html

I found Steve's site to be an excellent example of information from someone who has gone to the effort of creating his own uniforms. He may be able to give you advice or further contacts as to creating the uniform.

Hope this is of some use. Wish i could produce a pattern and email it to you but that facilty isn't available yet. Maybe we could start another section?

cheers

Tony
Edward

I did business with the above mentioned replicaters.com and was pleased with the transaction. I did not purchase an entire uniform from them but a replica RE side cap. In my specific transaction the quality and workmanship of the cap was excellent and the price far below what most firms charge.

To the best pf my knowledge there are no working replicas of the Martini Henry on the market. Once in a while a non functioning film prop Martini comes on the market but these tend to be pretty expensive and not very presentable when viewed up close. Currently The Prop Store has a all wood prop Martini for sale that they claim was used in ZULU. They list it as an prop Enfield.

http://www.propstore.com/product-Stunt-Enfield-Rifle.htm

It is actually a very beautiful looking prop but at �739.00 / $1195.00 cost as much or more as a real Martini. I suppose you are paying for the ZULU association as much as anything but I have not heard of wooden props like this being used during the filming of ZULU. Others more versed in the lore surrounding the making of ZULU may have more pertinent information to the use of such props.

[quote="Edward"]My thanks for that, a well made article, but as you say, a little pricey. Here in MiddleEarth, we can get the real McCoy for circa NZ$800

TOTALLY OFF TOPIC.......(PLEASE FORGIVE) But your line about a "happy coward" reminded me of conversation between Neddie Seagoon and Major Bloodnok in one of the 1960's BBC Goon Shows which you may find amusing.

Neddie accuses the Major of "acting like a coward!", to which the Major replies, " I'm not acting"

It was a confusion of ideas between him and one of the lions he was hunting in Kenya that had caused A. B. Spottsworth to make the obituary column. He thought the lion was dead, and the lion thought it wasn't.
Sawubona

Kiwi, what are the gun laws in NZ? And more importantly, why is it called "Middle Earth"? Because of the movie filming location?
Kiwi Sapper

Sawubona wrote:
Kiwi, what are the gun laws in NZ? And more importantly, why is it called "Middle Earth"? Because of the movie filming location?

TWO QUESTIONS????????

He He. I�ll do the easy one first, Middle Earth because, as you say it was where the Lord of the Rings films were made. We could, for a while, have also claimed "Narnia", but recent follow-ups have more off shore than NZ.

Gun Laws, ...........well, simply put, tougher than the Good Ol US of A, considerably better than Great Britain, and better than Australia. Like all of the above, we have had a couple of loonies and there has been a tightening in the last 10 years, but it is still very friendly for the user.

For more specific information, I believe that the best I can do is to provide links to the major (as I see them) pieces of law and opinion on the matter of civilian ownership of firearms in New Zealand.

First off, "The Word of God" A link to the Arms Act 1983 which describes, permits, etc everything to do with civilian ownership of fire arms within New Zealand.

http://www.legislation.govt.nz/act/public/1983/0044/latest/DLM72622.html

Second, a link to the Fire Arms Code, which is a "sort of watered down" explanation of the Arms Act for everyday usage after the legal jargon has been converted (almost) into plain English. A copy of this is issued to every applicant seeking a fire arms licence and where it is not specific enough, Constable Plod reverts to the Arms Act when he wants more "clout."

http://www.police.govt.nz/service/firearms/arms-code.pdf

Finally, another link, this time to a June 1997 review of Firearms Control in New Zealand, as permitted by the Arms Act 1983, which was amended in 1992 after the Aramoana killings. You may recollect I did mention that we had a couple of loonies in the past.....Both finally ended up being shot dead .

of http://www.police.govt.nz/resources/1997/review-of-firearms-control/

Very few of the recommendations contained in the review have been adopted and made law.

I hope that covers all your points, if not ask and I will see if I can assist.

Be Seeing You........

questions..... questions.....