rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Isandlwana at "COLOURS 2011" 10-11 September 2011
Bill Cainan 3

Isandlwana AT COLOURS

Alan/Peter - Although strictly a wargames item, I'm posting it here as a "news" item ! Hope that's OK ? (That's OK. - Alan)

The annual wargame show �Colours� will be held at Newbury (in the racecourse pavilion) over the weekend 10-11 September. This year, at the show there will be a demonstration �game� based on the moment of withdrawal of the British firing line at Isandlwana. The game will employ 28mm figures and the units will be represented on a 1 to 1 basis (so, each British Company will have 3 officers and 107 men) ! The demonstration will cover the ground from the Isandlwana Mountain to the rocky knoll, some 7-800 yards in TRUE scale of 1:64 (to match the 28mm scale figures). The table will be 36foot long by 6foot wide (i.e. 768yds by 128yds). The demonstration will employ nearly 600 model Imperial figures, and over 1500 model Zulu figures (the number being restricted by the width of the table (representing 130 yards). This will give viewers the opportunity to relate units to the ground in true scale.

Hope to see you there, to chat over the battle.

Bill Cainan
Photos
Chris

I hope someone is going to take some photos ( IF allowed )
peterw

Bill

Are you/the Museum running a game or just acting as an advisor?

Peter
Bill Cainan 3

Peter

The "game" - is a demonstration. The firing line will be laid out roughly as it was at 1315hours on the 22nd January, from the Isandlwana Mountain to the beginning of the rocky knoll - all in true scale. The four imperial companies will be those of Younghusband, Mostyn, Cavaye, and Porteus. They will be in different stances - close order, open order, extended order and forming a rallying square. It will enable onlookers to judge just how much real estate these formations took. Unfortunately, with the table only being 36 foot long, I wasn't able to include Wardell or Pope's companies ! Every 90 minutes I will give a brief talk on the pros and cons of 1 to 1 wargaming, using the table to illustrate points - followed by a Q&A session. The figures will NOT move ! I am hoping the visual depiction of their firing line will open up some interesting discussions.

I am putting it on as an individual, with the support of three friends. We are calling ourselves "Team Zulu" - catchy ? You may recognise one of the other members of the Team - hopefully more details to follow. I've just spent an enthralling weekend repainting the 1,000 shields of my uThulwana figures to represent those of the umCijo Regiment !

Chris - yes, photos will be taken. I understand Wargames Illustrated may also do a feature on the "game".

More details as I get them.

Bill
peterw

On the basis that it's not far from me I'll try and come along on the Saturday afternoon. Sunday is likely to be football chauffeur day for my son.....

Peter
Galloglas

And, in fine modern war game tradition, the Zulus will no doubt lose......

Throwing dice isn't anywhere near being a scientific near equivalent to even the most basic application of Operational Analysis techniques.

G
Bill Cainan 3

G

I agree totally, and in an ideal world the kriegspiel system would prevail. However, that pre-supposes that gamers would have had some military officer training, which of course 95% have not.

One of the main aims of the "Colours 2011" experience is my attempt to show what the firing line would have looked like at 1315hrs (ish) on that fateful day. Blocks on maps unfortunately do not give a true picture of four companies spread out over 8-900 yards.

The photos will follow. And if I do them in sepia, I may post them as "photos taken at the time - recently discovered" - my apologies to the Lt !!!

Bill
Bill Cainan 3

COLOURS 2011

I can now reveal the make-up of �Team Zulu� who will be putting on the Isandlwana demonstration at Colours 2011 at Newbury on the 10/11th September:

Bill Cainan � Team Sergeant Major (because it�s his bat and ball !)
Ian Knight - Team Historical Advisor (apparently he�s written something on the AZW!)
Michael Lane � Team Legal Advisor (just in case !)
Alex Knight � Team Transport and Labour Co-ordinator (i.e. Senior Gopher)

Hope to see some of you there over the weekend.

Bill
Bill Cainan 3

COLOURS 2011

I forgot to mention - Team Zulu will be resplendant in a nifty range of black T-Shirts with an Isandlwana Logo on the front and an advertising logo on the back !!!!!

Bill
peterw

Many congratulations to Bill and Team Zulu for their epic display. A labour of love if ever I saw one.

They were the undoubted winners of the "Mine is Bigger Than Yours" cup. Any larger and the display would have stretched into Hampshire.

Modelling and wargaming is not my thing but I was impressed by the attention to detail lavished on all the exhibits.

Peter
Bill Cainan 3

Peter

You are too kind.

A couple of professional photographers took pictures of the model and once I get some images from them, I'll post them on this site.

Bill
rich

....And I'm really looking forward to see the photos as well...You guys have all the fun over there playing with soldiers... Wink

Very interesting ! I'm sure looking forward to the photos as well. And perhaps a video on Youtube? The likes of a program like Power Director could certainly handle that mandate if it had just a bit of guts behind it.

Rich, iffen you haven't noticed, the King of Soldiers (of the 28mm persuasion anyway) lives not too far from you-- just across The Sound (yeah, well OK, just a bit across The Sound AND just a bit north-east as well). By the standards of most of the other guys here, "The Lt." is practically our next door neighbor!
rich

Saw......I guess so...Kittery Maine, it is, eh? It's 95 and straight up for me. You should be around on the way up too, no? But I think I have to make a "left' somewhere.... Wink

Not quite "on the way up" though. Kittery (pronounced "Kitrah" once one gets North of Massachusetts ) is a bit South of me by about 13 miles up the Spaulding Turnpike.

Have you had the pleasure of ever seeing The Soweto Gospel Choir strut their stuff? They'll be performing at the Portsmouth Music Hall in February and you can throw a stone or isijulla from there and probably hit The Lt.'s house.
Isandlwana at "COLOURS 2011" 10-11 September 2011