rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Views Needed
Melanie

I have a copy of a report made by Major F. Bourne(late color-sergeant "B" company)from the Regimental Pay List For January, 1879.

It has all the name's of men in the 2ND Battalion "24TH Regiment"

Now on my grandfathers Pte 1061 John Jobbins letter's to his mother and father he gives info of his friends that was killed at Rorke's Drift the name's in the letter are not on the report made by Major. F Bourne.
Any views would be greatful.

Here are the name's on my grandfathers letters.
1041 Pte Alf Farr
762 Pte Charlie Long
610 Pte George Morris
907 Pte Harry Smith
951 Pte Dick Treverton
1141 Pte Will Rees

He also say's that all these men have been killed.

Any views please post

Thankyou Mrs Melanie Trinder
Ian Woodason

Melanie,

All killed at Isandlwana, if Bourne's report was in relation to Rorke's Drift then this would explain why the men aren't mentioned in it.

Ian
Melanie

But other's like Sergeant R. Maxfield, Pte R. Adams, Pte J. Chick, and Pte G Hayden Etc. Were all killed at Rorke's Drift and they are on the report made by Major F. Bourne.

This report is dated 4th July 1910 in order of those who took part in the Defence, kindly place at his disposal by the Public Records Office, Chancery Lane, London.
Melanie

I just found out on February 1879 that 30 men from Monmouthshire Beacon were killed one of the men was George Morris as named above and that some of the men were 1st of the 24th but they sill toke part in Rorke's Drift,
but i still cannot work out why these men are not on the list.

all views welcome.
Julian whybra

Melanie
You seem a bit confused. There were two battles on the same day - 22nd January - one at Rorke's drift and one (a bit earlier) at Isandhlwana just a few miles away. Men from the 24th were involved at both. Your relation mentions men who were killed at both. Bourne will only mention the ones killed at Rorke's Drift because they are the ones HE served with - he was compiling a Rorke's Drift only roll of names. I hope that's clear now.
Views Needed