rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Gatling In action
Neil Aspinshaw

This weekend we got our hands on an 1874 Ordnance Armstrong Gatling, oh such fun. Firing purpose made N02 Musket blanks...what fun,
enjoy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piMrYMq6bkA

Neil,

Excellent!

It really serves to show just how temperamental the firing mechanism was; not quite the smooth firing of a Vickers.

However, that aside, awesome! Thank you for the link.

AMB
Sawubona

How many 1874 Gatlings can there be around still in operating condition, Neil? I googled and found this one: http://www.heritage-images.com/Preview/PreviewPage.aspx?I'd=1197297&pricing=true&licenseType=RM

The same gun or similar? Note that this one is listed as firing a .65 caliber round. That sort of jibes is your statement that you were firing "Musket blanks", but isn't that a rather odd caliber? Is it just that it's too early for M/H ammunition issue? Could you give us more details about the ordnance itself?

When I first watched the vid, I thought to myself that the mechanism seriously needs some oil! On the second viewing however, I realized that what I first thought to be complaining metal was in fact a dog in the audience having a nervous breakdown. Wink
Neil Aspinshaw

Sawumbona
AS far as I know, Three in the UK and only one firing, this is 450 calibre, .65 was navy calibre.

No2 Musket is a .502/.450 solid drawn cartridge only marginally different to the original Gardner/Gatling round. The service Gatling used this specific ammo (not .577/450 Martini, the bottle shape is not good for rear ram feed) and this is chambered as such with a small rim conversion. The shallower taper of the No2 and Gatling round provides better insertion into the chamber when pushed from the rear.

The barrels are Enfield, Henry rifled as on the Martini, bullet head is the same 480 grain.

Load is affected with the blank as the crimped end does not give the same weight as one with a lead patched bullet in so it needs the bombardier to push on the magazine feed handle, too much pressure and it forces the next round to jam, it needs a lot of practice to get the perfect rate of fire.

I hope this isn't (another!) silly question, but was there always as much smoke when the gun fired in "real life"?

Smile Surprised
Gatling In action