rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Losing a Post
Peter Ewart

Alan

Can I just check something please?

I appreciate that it is sensible to compile any lengthy post in Word & then copy & paste rather than type it straight into the forum, just in case it is lost. However, very occasionally I write a longer post than I thought it would be at the beginning, so I merrily type on straight into the forum box - and then lose it!

When I lose it, it is usually that my fingers have touched the wrong key at the wrong time (I type far too fast) and as a result a huge chunk is suddenly deleted. My question is, when this happens is there any way at all of retrieving it? If I'm in Word I can retract the last few instructions and thereby recover the chunk deleted by clumsy fingers but I've never been able to do so in the forum. (It's happened plenty of times before).

So - when it's gone, is that definitely it? Or is there any possibility of recovery by retrieving it? I've just lost a whopper which I was compiling in answer to some interesting questions in the off topic section by Saw, so the air is blue at present!

Thanks.

Peter
Alan
Site Admin

Peter,

I'm not sure which key you accidentally pressed to lose it. An immediate response to losing material is to press 'command z' which restores to the last status. It can be repeated going back several stages. As to longer term retrieval, I don't think there is a way. I'll check, but I feel certain.

Many thanks for that Alan. I've just experimented with the command you suggest with partial success. I'll try to remember to use Word in future for long posts - or not be so long-winded!

Peter
Alan
Site Admin

Be as long winded as you want Peter. We can always not read it.