rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Zulu War FPS game
ChrisF1987

Is anyone making a Zulu War/colonial era mod for an FPS game like Call of Duty/expansions, Medal of Honor/expansions, Joint Operations/expansions, BF1942/Vietnam/2, Rainbow 6, etc?

Several years ago back during the craze of Battlefield 1942 I remember a mod about the Alamo/Texas War of Independance and another about Revolutionary War (Am. War of Indep. to the Brits) and wondered if a Zulu War mod would work.

I would love to play a coop map in Joint Ops with the humans as the British vs hordes of computer controlled Zulu bots.
so would I...
Tom516

... but then I'm not really much of an FPS player (which in turn makes me not much of an FPS modder). That being said there's no reason a mod team can't get together and put something together. Call of Duty looks like the most likely vehicle with many available mods and skins. Another very promising thing I saw recently is a company is offering a FPS CREATOR where you can make your own shooting games. Though I think it may be only a one man thing... From experience Rogue Spear or maybe Ghost Recon may be the best realistic engine to use for a mod where some strategy as well as 'a bayonet with some guts be'ind it' is required.

Stick around who knows maybe someone with the skills will show up Very Happy

Coll

The idea of having a FPS for the AZW, gamers against an AI Zulu army is really quite something to imagine.

Coll

Last edited by Coll on Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Johnny_H

i just do not see how a Zulu war FPS would work?
AZW is much more suited for a RTS or Turn based RTS role in a game.

I would like to see something along the lines of that recent "Gettysburg" game but Zulu war Battles, that would be sweet.

Or maybe perhaps a sequal to "Imperial Glory" set a little further in European Colonial history, 1850-1906 etc.

Re: so would I...
ZTW_julian

Tom516 wrote:
Another very promising thing I saw recently is a company is offering a FPS CREATOR where you can make your own shooting games. Though I think it may be only a one man

I've looked at them before but they tend to be VERY poor graphics and have many limitations.

I think modding an FPS into the AZW period could work well, without too many problems but having said that we have to look at the reverse side and think the Zulus are often throwing spears and coming in for close range combat so you would really need a professional game developer to work on a game like this and code it themselves to best fit the timeline.
Coll

Regarding the FPS Creator.

If there is such a FPS Creator that becomes available to allow people like myself to 'pick up' even basic skills in the development of 3D figures, structures, etc., it can only be a good thing. Then, if such Creators become more advanced, we can progress 'alongside', adding to our knowledge, what is already known about this process.

Coll

Last edited by Coll on Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Coll just wondering...
Tom516

... perhaps... you could build us a nice model of Rorke's Drift with your 'building simulator'? I remember in the game The Sims I once created my own house...

Anyway, FPS creator isn't exactly what you would want to use if you want to get your hands dirty so to speak. It does give you the basics to get some shooting done quick but nothing (from experience) beats digging through code and image files and changing stuff at your whim by modifying a game (I'm sure Sundjata would agree with me). That being said it would give 'non-gamers' quite a bit of experience building and changing stuff without the frustration that accompanies hard-core modding (believe me the frustrations are myriad - working hours on something that doesn't work in the end... working on a project only to discover you should have done something back at step 4 when you're at step 281... ) and gives you instant 'fun results' - another advantage of this game creator is apparently you can compile the files to create an independent, distributable, playable and SELLABLE shooting game of your own.

However from what I've seen there are still limitations - money being one - the game engine being another. It looks like its meant more for indoor battles (simulation of the battle for the Hospital compound at Rorke's Drift?) and ultimately it's a healthbar, pick up ammo and health points type shooter.

The one I did was for Rogue Spear: Urban Operations and I only got as far as the British skins (and a lash up job for the Zulu). I did not have anything resembling map making skills (w/c required more 3D Studio Max knowledge than I possessed then - or now for that matter) so the best I could do was play on user created and downloaded maps. That being said, it worked pretty well with the Zulus shooting (no way to change animations so they used pistol fire animations) their spears at range or closing in for the kill and when you pit 8 men against some 50 rushing Zulus (and half of those men are snipers the other half watching their backs) there's only one way it can end...

I'll see if I can still dig up some old screenshots.

Coll

Tom

I've not seen anything available that would allow the building of Rorke's Drift, as the only 'creation' cd-roms I'm aware of are the designing of the interiors of modern buildings.

Going back to the FPS Creator. Is it or will it be available at some stage ?

Coll

Last edited by Coll on Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Coll

Further to the above.

Obtained a couple more computer magazines today.

The subject of designing characters with prefabricated parts is covered, as well as creating powerful design tools which are simple enough for all players to use.

It appears game designing for all to try is being discussed quite seriously.

Coll
FPS Creator
Tom516

yes definitely. I know it's for sale online.

http://www.fpscreator.com/

However, personally, if you find a good commercial FPS with suitable game mechanics it may be better to adapt that as I suspect this will just be all shooting, shooting, shooting.

Best wishes,

Coll

Tom

I'm thinking it may be best that I stay with games already available and look forward to others which are/will be in development.

However, I did see a 3D medieval building being developed on computer the other night in Time Team, but whether it was actually a building design cd available to all computer users, or only by archaeology departments, I know not.

It was interesting to watch, although this part of the programme wasn't given very much coverage. It let you see it gradually being developed, then the actual 3D image, that you could view all round.

Looking at a site mentioned in one of the other topics on the Games Forum, there were buildings included in the screenshots. So, could Rorke's Drift be created from such, in the same way as figures can be altered ?

Additionally, is it possible to create a representation in the same way, of Mt. Isandlwana, especially in a computer strategy simulation, as in Zulu Total War for instance ?

Coll
we sure hope so...
Tom516

Well, we are looking at period photos and, as this is a TC (Total Conversion) modification, we should have buildings including of course Rorke's Drift's famous 'house of Jim' and - hopefully - the Sphinx of Isandhlwana. These two are really two of the most visceral images of the war and I think ZTW would not be complete without them. It really boils down to time and how much modding support Julian/Sundjata gets (as he is currently the primary modder of the team) - we will push for the models of the soldiers first, then key models like wagons and cattle and maybe some buildings.

best wishes,

Coll

Tom

Thanks for your reply.

I appreciate the detailed answers to all of my questions.

Once again. Good luck to the ZTW Team.

Coll
Zulu War FPS game